Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 24 of 35 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 34 35
    O
    O
    Canmom we haven't connected with our family consultant yet but I'm already having conversations with him/her in my head smile. This past year has been so frustrating! I'm sure all first conversations go as yours did.

B
    B
    Well I had my son take the achievement test and he qualified with his reading score thank goodness! I'm going to submit him for membership again once I get the report next week. The tester said she has never had any of her clients rejected if they have qualifying IQ and achievement scores so I am hopeful there won't be an issue this time. I'm so relieved! She was actually concerned about my little guy since he really underperformed on the achievement test compared to his IQ score. She thinks it is a combination low confidence and his speech issues. I feel even more now that we need some educational services to help him come out of his shell. He is all bottled up. Hoping for some good news next month. smile

S
    S
    Good luck to everyone who is waiting. smile
    I finally submitted my son's application at the end of July, so we hopefully are in the August pool of applicants. I'm not sure if he'll get in, his GAI was 146, but he lost interest on the achievement tests, so I submitted portfolio pieces instead. Hoping it is enough.

S
    S
    good luck Speechie and brandijocelyn! I discovered at the very end of the month that we were missing a bit of paperwork, so I'm back in this month's pool with you. Hope we all get good news!

Last edited by sabina; 08/13/14 11:56 PM.
    L
    LRS Offline
    L
    So, I think I will probably wait until my son takes a talent search test next year sometime. He had brief testing to get into a gifted program at Northwestern and it looks like his scores will work for dys too. I wish I had talked more with the tester. She seemed to really want to talk with me about ds scores, tellling me they were unusual and such. However I had my antsy 2yo running around my feet and both kids were tired and hungry! (I was trying to be polite, but I was thinking, "I know, I know,I just needed the score to get into the classes")

So, the testing was brief iq and acheivement tests, which are not the full score we would need.

Also, we are homeschooling now, so don't have to deal with the school anymore. So I don't feel there is any urgency to applying, right?
    Unless my sons fine motor problems are going to affect his results later. Are later types of testing more affected by fine motor issues? I can see how having the dys would help with advocating at school, but since we left the school it is probably not so necessary for now. Does that sound about right?

C
    C
    I think the WPPSI-IV uses an ink dauber (like a big cylindrical stamp) so the kids can mark stuff. I am not sure what the fine motor demands of the WISC-IV or WISC-V are though -

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Yes, the WPPSI-IV uses an ink dauber for processing speed, to reduce the confounds of fine motor skills. The WISC-IV and WISC-V both require some fine-motor skills for the coding subtest of processing speed. There have been attempts to make the symbols somewhat easier to write, but it remains to be seen whether it will help remove the fine motor confound. Symbol Search and Cancellation are both just cross-off tasks, so there is substantially less impact from pencil skills.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by LRS
    Also, we are homeschooling now, so don't have to deal with the school anymore. So I don't feel there is any urgency to applying, right?
    Unless my sons fine motor problems are going to affect his results later. Are later types of testing more affected by fine motor issues? I can see how having the dys would help with advocating at school, but since we left the school it is probably not so necessary for now. Does that sound about right?

The one big benefit of DYS is your DS and you will be able to network with peers through annual summit or local group gathering. We haven't done any online seminar yet but sounds really great too.

K
    Ken Offline
    K
    Hi:

I'm preparing to submit an application for my son, age 8. I've prepared draft answers to the application questions, and wonder whether they are appropriate in length. Will just a few sentences for each do?

I'd appreciate any experiences you can share.

Thanks,

Ken

G
    G
    I think I had some answers that were longer, but for sure there were questions I answered with only a sentence or two.

Page 24 of 35 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 34 35

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM