Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 264 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Val #175337 11/19/13 09:10 PM
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Converting a-b=? to b+?=a is quite sensible (as long as the stuff you wrote on the side can be done as mental math without writing it).

It must be written down. In a certain way that involves drawing boxes.

Okay, the rigid setting out requirements, and the remedial level, are ridiculous, I agree. But it is worth understanding the idea of solving

5026-
    ----
    ????

by thinking of it as

2819+
    ????
    ----

OP Offline
    Coming back to this to update.

At the PTC, the teacher surprised us by showing an end-of-year test she gave DS for third grade math. He scored 72% correct. She said it was impressive (he answered a question on perimeter correctly) and thanked us for bringing to her attention a couple weeks before that he needed to be tested to determine if he could could move up. So, as of yesterday, DS has been moved from second grade math to third. He's finally going to run up against things he doesn't know, and he's excited!

As for his shouting out answers as being her hesitation in moving him into third grade math, she said he's shown acceptable restraint since we talked and that wasn't a factor any longer. I was glad to hear that!

It was like a weight lifted off my shoulders when she pulled out that end-of-year test. I thought I was going to have to bring the whole subject up again. It was a pleasant surprise.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Ametrine
    As for his shouting out answers as being her hesitation in moving him into third grade math, she said he's shown acceptable restraint since we talked and that wasn't a factor any longer. I was glad to hear that!

It would be better if she admitted that it never should have been a factor in the first place.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Ametrine
    It was like a weight lifted off my shoulders when she pulled out that end-of-year test. I thought I was going to have to bring the whole subject up again.

That's really great. Congrats on that. smile

22B #176027 11/27/13 01:18 PM
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by 22B
    But it is worth understanding the idea of solving

5026-
    ----
    ????

by thinking of it as

2819+
    ????
    ----

Yes and no. The concept is obviously important, so yes in that regard. But it's simple idea that doesn't need to be taught using four-digit numbers. It can easily taught by turning 8-3=? into 3+?=8. In this case, the concept is very easy to see because the calculation will be obvious to most students. Thus, they can focus on the addition concept without getting trapped in the details of the calculation (in which case they may not see the forest for the trees). So no in that regard.

As Master of None said in another thread, educators seem to find ways to fail. IMO, this is one of them: take a straightforward concept that can easily be demonstrated by one-digit fact families or on a number line, twist it, and create something capable of confusing an engineer or a scientist.

Val #176035 11/27/13 02:04 PM
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by 22B
    But it is worth understanding the idea of solving

5026-
    ----
    ????

by thinking of it as

2819+
    ????
    ----

Yes and no. The concept is obviously important, so yes in that regard. But it's simple idea that doesn't need to be taught using four-digit numbers. It can easily taught by turning 8-3=? into 3+?=8. In this case, the concept is very easy to see because the calculation will be obvious to most students. Thus, they can focus on the addition concept without getting trapped in the details of the calculation (in which case they may not see the forest for the trees). So no in that regard.

As Master of None said in another thread, educators seem to find ways to fail. IMO, this is one of them: take a straightforward concept that can easily be demonstrated by one-digit fact families or on a number line, twist it, and create something capable of confusing an engineer or a scientist.

No. It is not just that a-b=c is equivalent to b+c=a. The point is also that you can use this to find a difference, but using what you know about finding sums. And this is clearly different for 4 digits than for 1 digit. It gives a more efficient and natural algorithm for multidigit subtraction than the grotesque method typically taught in American schools.

This is definitely not an example of what master of none was referring to here.
    http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....icle_on_ability_grouping.html#Post175845

22B #176038 11/27/13 02:39 PM
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by 22B
    No. It is not just that a-b=c is equivalent to b+c=a. The point is also that you can use this to find a difference, but using what you know about finding sums. And this is clearly different for 4 digits than for 1 digit. It gives a more efficient and natural algorithm for multidigit subtraction than the grotesque method typically taught in American schools.

No, it's the same for 4 digits and 1 digit. That's a major point in mathematics: concepts aren't different, don't change or fail to apply because you use different numbers. It has to work every time or it's wrong.

If you're referring to subtraction with regrouping, I'm not sure why you're calling the standard algorithm grotesque. However, I do know that many folks without a solid understanding of mathematics and how its pieces fit together often mistakenly believe that the standard methods are somehow bad and should not be taught. There is a LOT of misinformation out there. I recommend reading this paper by a mathematician from UC Berkeley. He does a good job of explaining why misunderstandings arise. He also discusses the importance of the standard algorithms and how they fit together in the broader tapestry of mathematics.

Val #176039 11/27/13 02:50 PM
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Val
    No, it's the same for 4 digits and 1 digit.

It's a bit like you're saying that a red triangle is the same thing as a red circle because they are both red. You are ignoring the obvious difference.

Val Offline
    Okay, when people respond with a straw man, I know it's time to quit.

Val #176041 11/27/13 02:59 PM
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Val
    No, it's the same for 4 digits and 1 digit.
    Originally Posted by 22B
    It's a bit like you're saying that a red triangle is the same thing as a red circle because they are both red. You are ignoring the obvious difference.
    Originally Posted by Val
    Okay, when people respond with a straw man, I know it's time to quit.
    What?! 4 digit arithmetic is not the same as 1 digit arithmetic. When it comes to designing an algorithm to actually do the computation, the multi-digit case requires extra concepts. The difference is real.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM