Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Ametrine
    I'm really not too surprised by DS' progress report that came out today.

It says he's excellent in math, phonics, and spelling. He also received a plus in "works independently". However he received a "needs improvement" in self-discipline and "being attentive during discussion and instruction".

Sound familiar to anyone?

Perhaps he would be more self-disciplined and attentive if the class were more interesting?

Yes, that sounds familiar. Good for him on the works independently plus. He might be more attentive if the class was more interesting, but then again, he's a first grader. I think self-discipline is tough at that age for many children. They are really just learning that control.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Old Dad
    Upon entering the next grade they started the whole process again! We simply informed the teacher that our DS would not be returning those take home worksheets, there was simply no way we were going to support such unnecessary poor use of his time, it wasn't a discussion, it was a simple statement of fact.

What did they say?

Val #174708 11/14/13 11:48 AM
    O
    O
    Originally Posted by Val
    Upon entering the next grade they started the whole process again! We simply informed the teacher that our DS would not be returning those take home worksheets, there was simply no way we were going to support such unnecessary poor use of his time, it wasn't a discussion, it was a simple statement of fact.

What did they say?

It really caught them off guard. Something along the lines of, "Oh.....well.....I guess we'll just have to find other work for him." To which I replied, "I'd very much appreciate that, something more in line with his abilities"

The way I looked at it, what did I have to lose? What were they going to do? Not let him advance to the next grade after already demonstrating mastery the previous year? If he got a poor grade / review in math in the 3rd grade (shrug) big deal. It's not like it's going to be looked at by colleges. He had already mastered the material and had proven he's done so. If I made him do it again what would that be saying about how I value my son's time and efforts? All too often as adults we think our time is valuable but the time of a young person is not, I don't subscribe to that.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Val

What did they say?

It really caught them off guard. Something along the lines of, "Oh.....well.....I guess we'll just have to find other work for him." To which I replied, "I'd very much appreciate that, something more in line with his abilities"

The way I looked at it, what did I have to lose? What were they going to do? Not let him advance to the next grade after already demonstrating mastery the previous year? If he got a poor grade / review in math in the 3rd grade (shrug) big deal. It's not like it's going to be looked at by colleges. He had already mastered the material and had proven he's done so. If I made him do it again what would that be saying about how I value my son's time and efforts? All too often as adults we think our time is valuable but the time of a young person is not, I don't subscribe to that.

I really agree with this Old Dad - thanks for sharing it. I have had the same feeling about my son's math homework - it is so very beneath his level... As of now, howeever, it is not much and takes him seconds so I haven't resorted to this yet but wondering if/when I should. We do so much in the afternoons, it's nice not having homework. I did do something along these lines in the beginning of the year - the teacher gives two pages of math hw, one "enrichment" and one "practice"... Ds would skip practice and go right for "enrichment" .. teacher told him he has to do practice first then he can do enrichment if he wants. I said "uh no" the "practice" is years below him (and the enrichment is not much better!) - no way he is wasting his time doing that crap just to get to the enrichment!

Last edited by Irena; 11/14/13 12:04 PM.
    A
    A
    I'm really heartened to hear about parents like OldDad refusing to comply with schools' requirements that their children to do busywork. That, to me, speaks volumes to children about how valuable childhood is. You only have one opportunity to be free to learn about the world unencumbered by survival concerns; why not be allowed to be a child and learn unfettered by arbitrary rules? Just wonderful. That's inspiring parenting.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Val Offline

Well, I took a page out of your book on that one.

DS11's math teacher was forcing the kids to do something called "additive subtraction." Why sixth graders in a pre-algebra class need to learn how to do basic subtraction is a topic for another day. Anyway, the school's method involves writing sentences to the right of the problem, along the lines of:

234       9+5=14 Carry the 1.
    -149       4+8=12 Carry the 1.
     85       1+0=1

(Something like that, anyway.)

Teacher claims that this method is "faster" than the standard algorithm. DS wouldn't do it in class, and using the standard algorithm, he got the correct answer first.

So she started sending it home as homework. DH and I signed a note saying (essentially) that DS would not be doing additive subtraction, and that, as they say, was that. Happily, she just sent an email giving him "permission" to use regrouping.

Last edited by Val; 11/19/13 04:32 PM. Reason: Pre-algebra?
    Val #175322 11/19/13 07:16 PM
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Val

Well, I took a page out of your book on that one.

DS11's math teacher was forcing the kids to do something called "additive subtraction." Why sixth graders in a pre-algebra class need to learn how to do basic subtraction is a topic for another day. Anyway, the school's method involves writing sentences to the right of the problem, along the lines of:

234       9+5=14 Carry the 1.
    -149       4+8=12 Carry the 1.
     85       1+0=1

(Something like that, anyway.)

Teacher claims that this method is "faster" than the standard algorithm. DS wouldn't do it in class, and using the standard algorithm, he got the correct answer first.

So she started sending it home as homework. DH and I signed a note saying (essentially) that DS would not be doing additive subtraction, and that, as they say, was that. Happily, she just sent an email giving him "permission" to use regrouping.

You're right that middle school (U.S.) math is absurdly remedial. But don't be too dismissive of other methods. Converting a-b=? to b+?=a is quite sensible (as long as the stuff you wrote on the side can be done as mental math without writing it).

I almost feel that I should be putting this in the brag thread but (God willing long may this last) one of the good things about the current standardized testing mania is that DD's 4th grade teacher saw DD8 score 95% on the 'end of year' test in the first week of school and that the 5% she missed were just careless mistakes or bad questions.

For homework the teacher sets a 'study island' module every week which is electronically monitored; each pupil is expected to do this for 50 mins a week and there is a 'qualifying' test to show mastery. DD's teacher just wants her to do the test (which takes her <5 mins) and then DD spends the rest of the 50 mins doing stuff like the challenging word problems or Lure of the Labyrinth.

This teacher has gifted kids herself and totally gets it!

Become what you are
    22B #175327 11/19/13 07:51 PM
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Converting a-b=? to b+?=a is quite sensible (as long as the stuff you wrote on the side can be done as mental math without writing it).

It must be written down. In a certain way that involves drawing boxes.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    I almost feel that I should be putting this in the brag thread but (God willing long may this last) one of the good things about the current standardized testing mania is that DD's 4th grade teacher saw DD8 score 95% on the 'end of year' test in the first week of school and that the 5% she missed were just careless mistakes or bad questions.

For homework the teacher sets a 'study island' module every week which is electronically monitored; each pupil is expected to do this for 50 mins a week and there is a 'qualifying' test to show mastery. DD's teacher just wants her to do the test (which takes her <5 mins) and then DD spends the rest of the 50 mins doing stuff like the challenging word problems or Lure of the Labyrinth.

This teacher has gifted kids herself and totally gets it!

Huzzah! I have uncrossed my fingers to cheer for what sounds like a very supportive teacher. You must be relieved.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM