Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 166 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    M
    M
    I would get something in place so your son can still move forward with math. There are plenty of things you can do at home if it boils down to it. It can even be fun.
    How is he doing in other subjects? How did he score on the other MAPs test?
    How does he like school in general.

Val #174490 11/12/13 01:01 PM
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Val
    I've accepted that for my kids, I have to teach them at home. End of story.

This is what I would have posted too. And another excuse that I have heard in addition to all the above: We only teach to the top 80 percentile of the class and if your child is in that range, his needs will be met. Ha!

Challenging curriculum in lower elementary math for my child has been the jump from, 4+5 to 14+15 kind of stuff. But, he is generally happy because he is with other kids, he gets to do new stuff in math - they let him measure temperature with real thermometers, count pennies and work on geoboards all of which he loves to do.

My child is drastically accelerated - he is taught outside of school. School is for fun! I am not trying to put a damper on your enthusiasm. If you can make it work, that would be the best thing for your child. If not, don't give up hope. Explore how you can teach or get your child into a local enrichment club or afterschool program that meets your child's intellectual needs.

Good luck.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Ametrine
    (That link you sent: DS was working with fractions in the summer before Kindy.)

I'm so sorry that things aren't going well. It really hurts. At least you're not alone and at least this group can help in many ways.

As for the CC link: my DD9 is highly accelerated in math at home with me, but that hasn't stopped me from going over the CC standards with her, starting at grade 3. There is a lot of very important conceptual information in them. These standards were developed by mathematicians and are different from the stuff that you see in textbooks or elsewhere. Their goal is to ensure that kids understand how mathematical ideas fit together at a fundamental level. The differences between them and the basic ideas in textbooks or workbooks are ultimately quite significant. I encourage anyone here who's home- or afterschooling to teach at least the chapter on fractions (unless you're one of the lucky ones whose school teaches this information already). Though really, everything is really good.

Last edited by Val; 11/12/13 01:37 PM. Reason: typo
    I got a copy a couple of days ago on the one performed for the 2012-2013 school year. It shows the kids in the charter perform 10% higher than the state average in math, and 20% higher than the school district. They receive a rating of: Exceeding for Comparative Student Achievement.

Um-- okay, but keep in mind that what passes for "state standards" in most places has been abysmally low in terms of standards for basic numeracy.

So "Exceeds" benchmarks just means that most kids in the school are performing at my personal (admittedly jaded) 30th percentile or up. For grade level.

What it often means is that test-prep and drill-and-kill are the order of the day, at least in grades K-8. Because this is what produces reasonable test score gains in KIDS who are at the 25th through 60th percentiles, and that IS the group that teachers must focus on in order to maintain acceptable test scores.

Sorry-- but 'school report cards' don't really mean much here.

ITA about the Common Core highlights, btw. Good stuff.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Val #174557 11/13/13 08:17 AM
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by Val
    My admittedly very jaded opinion is that the teacher probably knows that your son is capable of doing harder work but she probably isn't going to do much to help him. I've been down this road many times and have heard all kinds of reasons about why [insert request] isn't possible.

She needs practice at x.

We're afraid of gaps in learning.

I was always taught to use my best students, so I get him to tutor the kids who struggle.

Everyone has to do stuff they don't like (fine for cleaning your room but not for a place where learning is supposed to be the entire point).

Our math program is outstanding. (Message: this discussion is over)

I assure you that Miss X is really an amazing teacher and she is doing what's best for your child.

"If" your child is really gifted, as you claim....

Etc.

When people aren't interested, they aren't interested. But (IMO,) they won't usually be honest about why they aren't interested. They'll tell you something that sounds good to them and will want you to play nice and let it go. I've tried many approaches, from excessive politeness and playing it their way to being a PITA. Nothing has changed anything, ever, unless the teacher or the school had an open mind long before I came along. In that scenario, the polite route always worked the first time, whether I was making the request or they were. No conferences, no meetings, no stress, no nothing past a simple polite and reasonable request.

I've accepted that for my kids, I have to teach them at home. End of story.

So my message to you is to hope for the best in your meeting, but prepare to be rejected. If they let your son move up, great. But have a plan for what you'll do if they don't. You may want to consider teaching the Common Core standards. I've linked to an example for fractions.

Just wanted to say that everything that Val said has been our experience - in just one year of academic schooling. We were finally granted a three year subject acceleration which my son started a few weeks ago. We see already though that the pacing is still so very slow. So DS is happy for the new experience and new classroom but it is still too slow for him. The new math teacher has ALREADY called us in for a meeting. Why? DS doesn't want to write out the ridiculous steps to answer a problem. He has told her , "can't I just solve the problem and move to the next one?". Right now he is obliging and writing out simple steps, but this won't last long. So we are looking at another acceleration next year or just more homeschooling.

D
    D
    ˆˆˆ that would be SO great - i'd just silently hand it to all the people in our lives who criticize our weird-looking (yet very deliberate, and very necessary) decisions and then walk away.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    Q
    Q
    It is a red flag because that does sound substantiallly below 2nd grade level. However, keep in mind that it is common for homework to be below the level of the classwork so it would be helpful to actually look at the class assignments instead. It is also possible that both the teachers you spoke to were consistent. End of year tests are necessarily limited and will not cover everything in the curriculum for one school year. However, there will be testing (likely more than one) to determine acceleration. For example, DS actually took several end-of-year tests as well as a specially designed math ability test to accelerate when he was in 2nd grade.

S
    S
    Our schools are "data driven" so teachers are required to pre test and post test the kids beginning of the year and end of the year. For math each grade level math book comes with theses tests. I do believe they are split into part a and part b and given over two days. They cover all the "big ideas" (main concepts) and almost all of the minor ones. I don't believe there are many problems per concept. They also have the computerized STAR (by the AR people not the California test) Math test.

My point is the pretests/end of year test in our schools do cover the entire year curriculum.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    OP Offline
    I'm really not too surprised by DS' progress report that came out today.

It says he's excellent in math, phonics, and spelling. He also received a plus in "works independently". However he received a "needs improvement" in self-discipline and "being attentive during discussion and instruction".

Sound familiar to anyone?

Perhaps he would be more self-disciplined and attentive if the class were more interesting?

O
    O
    I didn't read through the whole thread, however, we did run into the easy repetitive math homework timed math facts worksheets issue which our eldest DS had already mastered.

Upon entering the next grade they started the whole process again! We simply informed the teacher that our DS would not be returning those take home worksheets, there was simply no way we were going to support such unnecessary poor use of his time, it wasn't a discussion, it was a simple statement of fact.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM