Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    B
    B
    Most of it I couldn't overhear, and couldn't hear DD at all. I could hear DD but she wasn't loud enough that I could understand her answers. I think the psych kept talking really loud when DD asked her to repeat questions. I could hear the letter-number sequence test and she was saying 6 or 7 letters/numbers really loud. Still, I thought it was strange. If i had stood by the door, I probably could have heard more of it. But I sat in the chair I was supposed to sit in. smile

When DS was tested at age 3, the pscyh (different psych) actually let me sit in the room and watch. That was the test for preschoolers.

S
    S
    The university clinic I took my son to had industrial strength white noise machines in every room, in the halls and in the waiting room. It was hard for me (because I was only reading) not to fall asleep. You wouldn't have heard a bomb go off in the next room.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    A
    A
    My son's IQ test at 4 was in a closed room. The psychologist was with him for 45 minutes and there was an assistant present (either for taking notes or because it is their protocol to leave a small child alone with 2 adults than with one for the child's safety, I don't know). We told him that he was going to do some fun puzzles and answer quizzes (both of which he loves and he treated it like a playdate). The psychologist was also very nice, but she came out and told us that DS talked a lot about his favorite superheroes during the test.

I
    I
    Thanks, it sounds like tests are generally administered so the confidentiality of the test questions is protected.
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    When DS was tested at age 3, the pscyh (different psych) actually let me sit in the room and watch. That was the test for preschoolers.
    This is interesting, as I understood that the practice of allowing a parent to be present in the room to observe a child's IQ testing was prohibited.

B
    B
    If I remember right, she wasn't too happy about it, but I was very worried about whether DS would even cooperate. Turned out he wasn't particularly cooperative, so I'm glad I watched so I could see what was really going on and the fact that he was giving fake answers on purpose or refusing to answer! She did not try to build rapport with him at all, she marched him into the testing room, sat him down and immediately started the test. Terrible! It was at a Children's Hospital and we were testing him due to delays (which we now know are due to DCD). So she probably didn't view me as someone who would try to cheat the system to get DS into a gifted program.

M
    M
    Our school psychologist told me not to say anything at all about the tests to my twins. I didn't even know which day they were going to do the testing, as they were supposed to notify me in advance, but they "forgot" to do so. It turned out fine, though - both of my boys enjoyed the test and did much better than on the screening test.

I told my DD that we were going to see a lady that she would do puzzles and things with to find out how she thinks and that she would have fun - she did.

Become what you are
    I
    I
    If I remember right, she wasn't too happy about it, but I was very worried about whether DS would even cooperate.
    It has been my understanding that professional ethics dictate that others (including parents/guardians) may not be present for a test administration... even very worried ones?
    Turned out he wasn't particularly cooperative...
    Keeping with the theme of this thread, what did you tell him before testing?
    ... so I'm glad I watched so I could see what was really going on and the fact that he was giving fake answers on purpose or refusing to answer!
    It's hard to know whether a parent taking command of the situation had an impact on the child's performance?
    She did not try to build rapport with him at all, she marched him into the testing room, sat him down and immediately started the test. Terrible!
    It's hard to know whether a parent taking command of the situation had an impact on the tester's administration, including beginning the test immediately without small talk?
    It was at a Children's Hospital and we were testing him due to delays (which we now know are due to DCD). So she probably didn't view me as someone who would try to cheat the system to get DS into a gifted program.
    It has been my understanding that professional ethics dictate that others (including parents/guardians) may not be present for a test administration... that testers are not asked to make a subjective view of an individual parent's propensity to cheat the system?

L
    Loy58 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    For what it is worth, I have to take DD to the testing. Therefore, I will probably need to say something to her about what she is doing (and DD will probably ask why).

I have no intention of being with DD during the testing. I can certainly understand the concern with younger children being with a stranger, but DD is extremely independent, and does not need me there. I already plan to bring a book and find a free quiet space to wait for her.

From reading the Yemish article, concerns that I have are: DD getting off-topic, DD getting silly, DD not focusing on what is being asked. Since this is outside of DD's normal school setting, she is more likely to view it as "playtime," as in her time to do what she feels like doing (instead of what the examiner asks). At home, DD has the tendency to be very strong-willed and self-directed. At school, she usually seems to understand that she needs to do what is being asked. I guess this is why I wish to "tell" her something, without making her anxious.

The children at school already talk about the "testing," going on, so they are somewhat aware of what is going on. DD has been specifically asked in the recent "what are you doing?" by other kids when she has been pulled out of class for testing (DD said she just shrugs).

Also, DD has started complaining quite a bit this year about being bored at school. I am very concerned about this. I do think that more challenging programming might help.

I am just hoping to have DD be at ease, be herself (hopefully, cooperative self), and do her best.

B
    B
    I do think it helps to talk to the child ahead of time--but what you say depends on the child. Some kids probably need to be told very firmly that the test is important and they need to do their best, others (who might be anxious) might need to be told that the test is no big deal and not to worry about it.

My DS is one who acts silly, isn't very motivated, and he needs some bribery--i.e. if you work hard on the test I will take you out to lunch after this. He needs that during therapy sessions too since he can get very silly and immature and doesn't always follow directions. He does not like being "put on the spot" being told to perform certain things, and acts out.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM