Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 45 of 131 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 130 131
    K
    KJP Offline
    K
    Some people can be quite creative with what they want to be called:

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/call_me_captain_justice_lawyer_requests_euphemisms/

OP Offline
    I prefer "Your Most Supreme Excellency," myself.

wink

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    N
    N
    KJP, that is brilliant! laugh

I guess I don't tend to call anybody anything in conversation, so the whole doctor thing doesn't come up. My kids call me Mom, repeatedly and excessively. It bugs me when my daughter refers to me by my first name when she's being silly. When I was a kid, certain adults who were close to the family were "Uncle" and "Aunt", but eventually I gravitated toward first names because that's what everyone else called them. It's worked pretty much the same with my kids -- we had a couple of extra Uncle-and-Aunts, but they don't call them that now.

M
    M
    My best friend's parents when I was a teen wanted to be called uncle and aunt. I was there A LOT, they were a big part of my life and always good to me, so I always called them aunt/uncle because it made them happy. Felt pretty weird to me though because I didn't actually call my uncles and aunts by the title :-).... Was especially weird at my wedding, with my actual aunts and uncles there thinking "huh?"

A
    A
    Just your standard dinner time conversation:

DS2: (Making his toy excavator dig in his dinner) I think excavator is an omnivore.

Me: You mean it eats meat and plants? I guess it metaphorically eats dirt, which might contain both.

DS: No! It digs and scrapes dirt, not eats it. It digs with its teeth, Mummy. Eats is a metaphor.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    M
    M
    LOVE it aquinas.

A
    A
    I'll admit I was more than a little surprised that he knew what a metaphor is, MumofThree. I find myself getting corrected a LOT lately. Guess it's just parent training. wink

I
    I
    My DS just described to me his creative process. I asked him how does he write stories, how does he make them up. His answer was this (I recorded it without him knowing):

I’m at school doing a worksheet and I see something in my mind, and an intense moment processes through me which causes me to lose my mind, and the story over takes me, takes place in my body and kicks my mind out. I run around as I absorb the creative shock, I can then sit back down to go back to my school work after the creative shock goes through me. There are times I didn’t even realize I got up and ran around. My memory works really well because I remember the whole story and I can dictate it to you later. It hits me like that – I absorb the story. Then, I come back to reality and continue working – my story is saved for later, absorbed in my memory. And I might not be able to get it down for awhile but, in the meantime, I can absorb more creative shocks to my story until it becomes a storyline. And the storyline doesn’t come in order… it often doesn’t come to me in any kind of order, I have to put the puzzle together later. When I solve that puzzle I say, “okay it’s time to write this story.” That’s what happens, that is how it works. How does it work for you?

Last edited by Irena; 11/07/13 05:28 PM.
    L
    L
    Irena, remind me how old your ds is. Irrespective, he has provided such a beautiful insight into his amazingly creative brain. Loved reading it! He is going to be famous some day smile

A
    A
    What an insightful explanation from your son, Irena. He sounds so mature and thoughtful.

Page 45 of 131 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM