Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Cathy A #17438 06/05/08 01:12 PM
    Cathy A: Lol I wonder where my head is? I read it as "Slime! I want to kick your a$$!" THen I adjusted to "Slime! I want to take your a$$!"

ha ha ha

K
    K
    Ha - well it's good to know I'm not alone! That's exactly how I read it too. laugh

kimck #17440 06/05/08 01:27 PM
    LOL.... I wonder what that proves about context... smile

Maybe I have to think of a better example. Or maybe you need more than one sentence to really get context. Were you able to read "ptircue" easily?

Cathy A #17441 06/05/08 01:30 PM
    Not really. I gave it a shot but when I wasn't certain, I moved on to the next sentence. I even heard Dirty Harry's voice when I read it.

Hmmm... so does that mean that you don't read whole words? Personally, I don't think that's what it means.

Cathy A #17475 06/06/08 06:35 AM
    interesting. I got picture right away, then slime...

"Slime! I want to take your Xs" was what I read.

Does that mean that I take things too literally? :p

I think context matters a lot! Smile/Slime is isolated, so that complicates matters.

Also none of the mixed-up words in the sample paragraph are really written to look closer to other words than they are to the right word, as Smile/Slime was closer to slime than to smile. That changes how you read the word, too, I think.

Finally, I suspect the words in that paragraph and the order of the letters was very carefully chosen. Case in point: I don't think there's any way to mix up the word "camera" and make it readable without some pretty clear contextual clues. cermaa? cmraea? creama? I don't think anyone would look at any of those and know what I was writing.

Kriston
    acs #17481 06/06/08 06:52 AM
    Originally Posted by acs
    Some of you may have already seen this, but it fits into a conversation we were having on another thread. When we talk about how kids learn to read, phonics vs. whole word, I wonder how this plays into the puzzle:

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

This explains why GS8 can read at an 8th grade level, but his spelling is horrible!

I read Slime too, Also I spell like a 4th grader. never learned phonics, just whole words. Because of this and what we have read my DW (Great speller, very structtered) taught or DS5 some phonics and decoding.

It's funny how we learn. I am a big picture, visual learner. No really structure, I just know or can figure things out. My DW is very structured, step by step, very verbal. before our DS5 was tested we would always play arround with who's side of the family his giftedness comes from (I always win with that I was smart enough to choose her, and trick her into marrying me)and how does our DS5 learn. Visual vs verbal. After testing he was only 1 point different in his scores on visual vs verbal. I am glad my DW is there to help with the structure.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM