Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 264 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    It's a ticket to something all right.

But it's not a nice place here, trust me.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Early 90's I knew someone whose dad was one of those weasel lawyers that trips and sues (literally won a million dollars for falling over outside a bank). This guy's dad got him flagged as dyslexic specifically to ensure that he got extra time on exams. It does happen.

Become what you are
    Yes, it does-- and the statistics from College Board tell that story rather clearly.

I
    I
    Yes, but extra time on an exam is not going to get you into the Gifted program or anything like that.

My point: if a kid is neurotypical and truly GIFTED, he/she is not even gonna need or use the extra time or remediations available to whose with legit Dxs. I get that some kids may lie to get extra time or whatever but the question posed here in this thread and some of the anecdotes here in this thread are about truly GIFTED kids who are NOT disabled or have ADHD or have any LDs needing/using a "fake LD/ADHD/label" to get into a gifted program and to open paths to them that are not open to a neurotypical gifted kid and that is simply not true in my experience. Sure, you child with a 150 IQ may get some extra time and some OT or even a shadow (trust me - most kids, especially neurotypical ones, do not want a 'shadow') that he or she really will not need or even want... it won't do anything else like get them into a gifted program or access to special high-level classes or anything like that... At least not to my knowledge and experience.

Last edited by Irena; 11/07/13 07:25 PM.
    I agree. It didn't make much sense to me, either. smile

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Irena
    ... it won't do anything else like get them into a gifted program or access to special high-level classes or anything like that... At least not to my knowledge and experience.

I *think* that it's possible what can happen in the OP's school district (because it happens with some of the gifted options here in our district) is that a student who is id'd as 2e can qualify for gifted services with lower ability and achievement test scores (in theory - as in, I've seen that in written memos re district policy). But as Irena and others have pointed out - advocating for a child who actually *is* 2e was a heck of a commitment that took literally years and a ton of energy and effort and (I don't want to call it this but it sure felt like it - ) fighting. And that was with documentation from multiple professionals and a heck of a lot of data evidence in work samples etc. I can't imagine that it would be possible (here) to go into a team meeting at school with documentation of an ADHD diagnosis from just one diagnosing professional and get much more than a 504 plan offering a quiet room and extended time on classroom and state testing.

I also can't help but wonder - if there is a dr that is routinely "easier" to get an ADHD diagnosis from (as in a fake diagnosis) and word of mouth is making that recommendation to parents... isn't the school district staff going to eventually figure out that's what's up and consequently not put trust in the diagnosis?

*OR* maybe what the OP is expecting is to get SPED services (not gifted?) as a way of accessing smaller class size? I'm not entirely clear which it is that her child would qualify for with the diagnosis?

polarbear

polarbear

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM