Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    S
    S
    What about George's secret key to the universe (and sequels) they are half fiction half nonfiction by Lucy and her dad Stephen Hawking

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    N
    N
    This might be too exciting, too -- DD7 just brought home this book from the school library and is enthralled by it:

100 Deadliest Things on the Planet

She says the librarian told her it wasn't a second grade book, it was a fifth grade book, but let her check it out anyway. Aren't we lucky? smile

I see that it is part of a series, including Dangerous things, Disgusting things, and so on. I'm sure she'll have to have all of those, too.

M
    M
    One of my sons, DS6, loves the Basher series of science books.

http://www.amazon.com/Simon-Basher/e/B0034Q44MM/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

My DD was all over the map at that age here are some that I think a boy might like too:-

Geronimo Stilton
    Harry Potter
    The Hobbit
    The Wind in the willows
    Anything about dinosaurs
    Anything about Ancient Egypt
    Anything about Pirates
    Anything about mythology
    Narnia
    Redwall
    Rick Riordan
    Anything about birds, reptiles or polar bears
    Tomfoolery
    Jokes especially puns and knock-knock
    Anything teaching Conjuring tricks and number tricks

Become what you are
    S
    S
    Not sure about non fiction. My kids tend to like national geographic books about space or animals. They have good pictures to go with the text. For fiction my son just read Matilda and is now reading The Invention of Hugo Cabret. He liked Romona too. Oh I know how about some of the "Who Was ...?" Books. They have those for all different people.

M
    M
    Forgot to add - both of my 6 year old twins love the "National Geographic for Kids fact books and their "Weird but True" books, as well as their children's almanacs. They are very good for reading in spurts, as well, due to the subject matter and the size of the books.

B
    B
    The Bargain sections in Barnes and Noble (in the adult section and the kids' section) actually had some good looking non-fiction books for kids last time I checked.

M
    M
    My ds 6 has enjoyed Dahl, the chocolate touch, and Mr. Poppers Penguins. He LOVES Wayside school books!
    (I am reading The Series of Unfortuneate Events to ds. He enjoys that. It has some good vocabulary. I've also heard it is quite good as an audiobook.)

B
    B
    When my son was in K he was a very advanced reader but didn't really care for fiction. Fiction at his reading level wasn't really of "age" interest to him either.

I took him and another advanced reader to the library for the teacher, and what worked best was they read every single Magic School Bus book that existed. (They were in their reading program.) I also bought or took from the library non fiction science books, on all subjects.

Fiction that did work, was stuff in more short story format. Encyclopedia Brown books turned out the be a huge hit in 1st grade. He also really liked the Geronimo Stilton (we called them the cheese books) series, and Captain Underwear. Potty humor at it's best, but very age appropriate.

Another big hit for this age was Joke books.

Edited to add.. what about puzzle books like Kids Sudoku, mazes. (Just not word searches.. IMO word searches are a waste of time.)
    National Geographic Kids magazine. (Maybe you can find past issues in the library)

Don't forgot picture books. There are quite a number that have quite a high reading level because they are designed to be read to children by adults. I helped my son's teachers with tagging their libraries when my son was in K-3rd.

"How Droofus the Dragon Lost His Head" by Bill Pete. Or really ANYTHING by Bill Pete. It's a K-3rd grade level, but a high lexile measure and 48 pages with lots of text per page. He wrote dozens of books, all silly fun.

Last edited by bluemagic; 11/06/13 12:22 AM.
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    My DD was all over the map at that age here are some that I think a boy might like too:-

Harry Potter
    The Hobbit
    The Wind in the willows

While I LOVE The Harry Potter Books & The Hobbit. I personally suggest you wait till he is a bit older. They do make excellent read out loud books. Something I had to learn a bit myself through experience was that as adults we can be in such a rush to introduce literature when we realized we have such a gifted reader. We forget to sometimes slow down a bit and wait till a kid is more age appropriate to enjoy the nuances book.

The Harry Potter books were designed to "grow" with the young teens and after book 3 they really are TEEN books. I honestly think they are better appreciated by children 8+, no mater their reading level. My experience is bright kids can actually be more sensitive to the violence and dying but not mature enough to really handle it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM