Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 166 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    I also wonder how many Asian students take Alegebra II courses, trigonometry, etc. or if a good percentage of them (the ones under a certain IQ) get tracked into manual labor type courses. If it is just the more intelligent kids taking math, then of course it would make sense to tell them they need to work harder and also that they get "results" from those students.

Here is data from New York City:

http://edfundersresearch.albatrossdemos.com/sites/edfundersresearch.com/files/EdFunders%20Paper%20%232.pdf
    THE EXPERIENCES OF ONE NEW YORK CITY HIGH SCHOOL COHORT:
    OPPORTUNITIES, SUCCESSES, AND CHALLENGES
    Douglas Ready, Thomas Hatch, Miya Warner & Elizabeth Chu
    Teachers College, Columbia University
    October 8th, 2013
    Figure 4 displays (unadjusted) average progress through the math pipeline for students differentiated by their background characteristics. We find substantial racial/ethnic disparities in math coursetaking. The average Asian student completed the first semester of pre-calculus and the average white student progressed through both semesters of algebra II/trigonometry. By contrast, the average black or Hispanic student only completed the second semester of geometry.

C
    C
    I was a "untalented" math student required to take a lot of math because of my degree. Honestly, there are two sides- I gave up very easily and didn't put the kind of effort that *I* needed to be successful (which seemed like too much at the time).
    On the other hand, I would sit in a stats or calculus class and could tell that a few of the students just "got it." I found it highly discouraging to know I would need to put in three times the amount of work as the "getting it" students.

I think it is cultural- I think in the US, students are not trained for the "grit" that it takes to get through difficult subjects. We admire talent, not extreme effort- but talent can be a double edged sword if students aren't challenged during their formative years. Challenge (the real kind that involves struggle) builds character.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    I was thinking more about Asian students who are actually in Asia, but that is very interesting.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM