Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 210 of 268 1 2 208 209 210 211 212 267 268
    C
    C
    Our YDS (3) was talking at dinner last night about a very specific kind of bread (blueberry, with crunchy white sweet stuff, I assume frosting) that he had at last year's Thanksgiving buffet. Is that sort of memory normal? Yikes. I barely remember anything from the buffet! DH said he vaguely remembers said son being very fond of said bread.

Last edited by ConnectingDots; 10/29/13 10:18 AM.
    A
    A
    I might have posted upthread but I remembered something hilarious about DS at 4 years old (he is 6 now) - he does not listen to pop music, we let him listen to classical music at home and we have no TV time. So, his exposure to contemporary culture is nil (and he has boring parents too to add to it!). My 23 year old niece was blasting out a song that said "Watch Out Bad Romance" in her car at Thanksgiving that year - and DS went up to her and said: "Yes, those Romans were very bad people. They killed a lot of Gauls in the BC years. And that made me very sad." Only a few people there got what he was saying. And those that got it still recount it every time we meet.

Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
    Our YDS (3) was talking at dinner last night about a very specific kind of bread (blueberry, with crunchy white sweet stuff, I assume frosting) that he had at last year's Thanksgiving buffet. Is that sort of memory normal? Yikes.

Normal for this crowd, anyway.

Our DD visited a home in a foreign country at around 22 months of age. Almost two years later, she returned. She looked around the room, and reported all of the things that had changed (which, since the first visit was around Christmas, was a lot).

C
    C
    Originally Posted by squishys
    Yes, my DS7 can still remember things that happened at age two.

ODS is 7 and has a memory like that, too. YDS has not exhibited such detailed memory until recently. I agree it is likely normal for gifted kids, maybe it is typical for all kids?

H
    H
    Thanks squishys for the art brag thread. Awesome stuff there.

Yesterday, my girl was playing her doctor toys and asked me to open her mouth so that she can check my mouth. She asked how many teeth I've got.
    Me: erm, i'm not sure. probably thirty-something.
    Girl: you have 32 teeth
    Me: Really? ok i have 32 teeth

Few hours later, she was flipping her book on the Human Body (which we have not read for at least a couple of months & i have obviously forgotten the facts), then very excitedly showed me the sentence that says adults have 32 teeth!

she also said a sentence which impressed me yesterday "later i want to wash my hands on that sink. i can reach it surely!" i never knew that she knew the word "surely"!

she's only 3!

M
    M
    More a quirky anecdote than a brag.

DS11 took the SAT yesterday to see if could qualify for Johns Hopkins SET by getting more than 700 on the math or critical reading section. So what did he say when he came out about five hours after entering the school?

A big smile on his face, he said "That was such a relaxing morning. They give you breaks between sections." Apparently when he did the practice tests, he did the tests without breaks and found the actual test "very relaxing".

LOL-- that's great, Mithawk. I hope that he did well, but at least he enjoyed the experience either way. smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    It started off as a joke: a family friend who was over for Halloween, after quizzing DS20mo for fun about his body parts which he has known in detail for a few months down to his eyelashes, eyelids and earlobes. She laughed and said well, next time she sees him he'll probably know where his xyphoid process is. So after she left, we showed him once for laughs. Well he now shows it off on command, along with clavicle, pelvis, radius, deltoid etc etc...using himself or his Halloween toy skeleton as a model...his dad is an orthopedic surgeon and is just bursting!

DD5 came to my lego robotics team meeting on Friday afternoon (the team is a middle school team). We do not have many legos at home (this could be changing quickly however wink ) but she jumped right in there and managed to get one of the kids building the robot to rely on her alone to supply him with parts by finding all of the parts in the pictures before the other 3 boys found any of them.

Then today, while DD10 was having some friends over, DD5 decided she would do school work with me while I did some grading. She wanted to do some math, so I found an addition sheet on the web that you needed to answer the questions in order to know which color to color the octopus. It turned out the sheet was 2 digit addition, complete with carrying. She knew how to do it by drawing squares, I showed her how to write it the regular and how to carry once and she quickly and easily did most of the worksheet on her own! Including some where she did them in her head instead of writing it out.
    No wonder the +0 and +1 problems she is doing in school are driving her crazy. crazy

L
    L
    DD4 wrote her first book yesterday (actually it is more of a poem). Anyway, she was doing a workbook and dragged her seven to the edge of the page. I commented that the 7 is escaping from the book, climbing the chimney and running out of the house. Maybe we should write a book about the missing seven. Immediately, DD started to dictate this and I had to grab an envelope to write it down. Here it goes.
    Mom, let us call the book The Mystery of the Missing Seven, written and illustrated by DD.

Two and four coming through
    What comes next six and eight
    And then comes ten lappy looze (with a z mom)
    All numbers even looking for seven.

I gave her my notes to type on the computer. I printed each line and the title on a separate page and she illustrated it today.

Page 210 of 268 1 2 208 209 210 211 212 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM