Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 17 of 17 1 2 15 16 17
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    I was the only one who knew that it was 'borrowed' content that she was trying out. She usually managed to place it completely appropriately contextually, so people other than me didn't understand that she was quoting Emeril rather than making it up as she went. It wasn't exactly echolalia, either, because as noted, she was using it IN context. It was almost like a word-acquisition skill on steroids. She acquired whole phrases or paragraphs and used them. It gradually stopped when she was about five or six.

Yup. My DD does this a lot less at 3.5 than she used to but i can think of examples from this week were she's repeated near verbatim something I've said in later conversation, used correctly and the. Modified / reprocessed for an additional related thought.

U
    U
    She usually managed to place it completely appropriately contextually, so people other than me didn't understand that she was quoting Emeril rather than making it up as she went. It wasn't exactly echolalia, either, because as noted, she was using it IN context. It was almost like a word-acquisition skill on steroids.

Yes, EXACTLY this. It was not noticeable to others, except in the sense that she was very precocious verbally.

DS did not do this and was not as verbally advanced as a toddler. However, they both memorized very long books very young. He turned out to be the earlier reader, by almost a year, for whatever reason.

U
    U
    When I read about this long ago, I found some info about "gestalt" language acquisition.

Page 17 of 17 1 2 15 16 17

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM