Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    #173289 10/31/13 08:40 AM
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    I expect many have creative or unusual costumes here in this group. I'd love to hear about what you or your child have chosen/created from your costumes this year.

No real creativity at my house this time with our little Ninja. He currently wants to fit in with his choices.

Our DD's will be Princess Mononoke (fyi - this is a great costume to make and looks awesome) and Violet from Lemony Snicket's. Both girls will probably have to explain who they are, but that is okay. They look great!!!

R
    R
    October has been our month of homemade costumes for DS7.

First he wanted to be Athena so he made a helmet, spear, and owl shield out of cardboard, duct tape, dowels, and scraps. It was fabulous...

However, the mythology obsession has transitioned to a American Revolution obsession. He now has made himself a cardboard and duct tape saber and taped a homemade flag over his pirate hat. He has a collection of 4 or 5 flags on skewers that he copied out of some book he was reading. This morning he has been cutting up yellow construction paper to make brass buttons to tape on his blue rain coat for a uniform. Its going to be great.

DD14 went as a zombie last weekend (or was going to-- not really sure, as this was with other friends and I wasn't there).

Tonight, she's working the little kids' Halloween party as a youth volunteer, so she needed a VERY non-scary costume for that, and something warm and comfortable enough to wear for a long time in damp 30-50F temps. So she is going as a Woodland Elf. She has a long panne velvet kirtle/bliaut that she has made (in olive green) and I made her a really neat white and cream hood that is decked out in a variety of natural-toned greens-- felted leaves, vines, and a few dark purple berry clusters, with blue campanula/harebell flowers that exactly match her eyes.

I also made knitted kirtle SLEEVES in cream with a gothic point that comes over the hand-- she can't really wear gloves/mittens because she needs the dexterity, but she'll be warmer with these on. They will also double as a way to keep her hands warm when she's playing the piano later.

She also has wire ear-cuffs with pointy elfin tops on them. A little hard to explain.

Her make-up will include a lot of glitter and green/gold tones to match the rest of it.

Why yes, I did hang out with professional stage costumers for many years. Why do you ask?

Last year, she was Rainbow Dash for this same event. Lots of polar fleece in rainbow colors, and a custom-made hat in pale blue, along with wings tacked onto a hooded sweatshirt. It was instantly recognizable and very very comfortable.

The challenge with these costumes is that she has to have GREAT (really, athletic) range of motion in them, and they have to be appealing and non-scary.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    My boys are Luke Skywalker and Yoda by choice. Not too surprising.

What does suprise others is that they have both picked their costume since they could talk, AND were very opinionated about it. It seems so wierd to me when parents tell me, " oh, I picked ___ for a costume because he/she is only 2 or 3".
    That would have never worked in my house.

I am looking forward to more creative costumes though:) enjoying this thread.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Why yes, I did hang out with professional stage costumers for many years. Why do you ask?

THANK GOODNESS for that, otherwise we'd all collapse in shame! (and i am a crazy person who once made a prosthetic leg for a costume...)

this sounds amazing - can you post your a picture of your DD's costume (just flat, i mean - without her in it) in the art thread? it sounds like art to me!

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    This year DS is going as Steve, from Minecraft. He's in love with this costume, and the big, pixelated sword. All this friends think it's amazing as well. LoL.

ETA: Here's his mask - http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f04f/?srp=25

Last edited by epoh; 10/31/13 09:30 AM.

~amy
    M
    M
    Amy- awesome! My ds would love that!!!

C
    C
    [quote=Melessa]What does suprise others is that they have both picked their costume since they could talk, AND were very opinionated about it. It seems so wierd to me when parents tell me, " oh, I picked ___ for a costume because he/she is only 2 or 3".
    That would have never worked in my house.
    quote]

Ditto. ODS has picked his own costume (from those in stock at the house, fortunately we have received wonderful hand-me-downs) since he was three and first went out dressed for Halloween. I believe that year he wore different costumes for each Halloween activity, and has done so ever since. Today he is Darth Vader at school and says he will be a pirate tonight.

YDS picked his costume last year, when he was 2. We did switch his pick this year (it wasn't complete) by strongly suggesting additional candy might be offered for the cuter costume.

L
    L
    Dd4 wanted to be tigger from Winnie the Pooh because "I like to bounce". So I got her a costume. Well school announces a Halloween fashion show two weeks ago and dd decides tigger is no good. She wants to be a scary dada pumpkin.
    Off to craft store middle of this week and today she looked so cute in her homemade scary pumpkin costume with death skeleton and bat stick ons. She also got a jack-o-lantern that lights up and a pumpkin candy holder that she is going to carry as the mama and baby pumpkins. She actually wanted lights on her costume but I said no way. She even practiced her ramp walk yesterday. She decided that she was going to stop in the middle of her walk, face the audience and shout boo to scare everyone.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM