Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Update: they have put DS7 back in the proper math class. He is in 2nd and goes to 5th grade math. A combination of many consultations with a Davidson consultant and a visit from the psych who did DS testing seemed to have done the trick.

So he will go to school in the mornings for specials and math and come home after lunch for all other subjects.

P
    P
    Sounds like a good solution. I think you were reasonable too. I think learning to do things more than one way is a good idea but only if there is more than one sensible method. I don't think there really is more than one way at doing most basic maths.

I
    I
    So glad this worked out. smile

For multiplication, most of us memorized the times tables, and learned to multiply by what is described at this math advocacy link as the short method. (link- http://www.nychold.com/em-arith.html)

The other multiplication methods shown here are partial products, lattice, and Egyptian method. confused

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by indigo

For multiplication, most of us memorized the times tables, and learned to multiply by what is described at this math advocacy link as the short method. (link- http://www.nychold.com/em-arith.html)

The other multiplication methods shown here are partial products, lattice, and Egyptian method. confused

Yes, they use Everyday Math at my son's school. It drives me bananas. Interestingly enough, my PG STEM background husband says that he actually likes Everyday Math. He thinks that if teachers are properly trained to teach it as it was intended, that it would be excellent for differentiation and acceleration.

DS is excited to go back to the class in which he was supposed to be. Of course, the 2 month detour has left a really bad taste in all of our mouths, including DS. He has written off the adults in his school as being "not aware" and "not caring" of what students need who are "not bad" and "smart".

P
    P
    Now I have a headache. But these different methods are just ways you would do it if you had to do it without paper. These problems are complex enough to different ways but the different ways don't need to have names and rules. If I am doing maths and I want to check my answer I would automatically use a different way (there wouldn't be much point doing it the same way).

I have never seen everyday maths but I would have no trouble with "calculate x then verify your answer", I would have a problem with solve for x using method a, then method b, then method c.

Of course checking using a different pathway didn't come naturally to me when I was 8.

N
    N

I've just looked at this link. Oh, good gods in heaven, no wonder nobody is learning math anymore! Why do they have to make everything so freaking difficult? I practically gave up before I even got to the multiplication section.

There's a reason that all the traditional methods are known as the "short methods" -- because the others go all the way around Robin Hood's barn to come up with the same thing.

22B Offline

Interesting. They have many methods for each arithmetic operation, but they don't have the standard method for subtraction that is taught in most countries.

H
    H
    Thanks for that link! We are so early in the school academics that it was helpful for me to visually see what the "methods" conversation with my son's (former) math teacher was heading towards. And Yikes!! That approach is a nightmare for my mathy kid. Glad we are now doing math the old fashioned way at home.

N
    N
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Interesting. They have many methods for each arithmetic operation, but they don't have the standard method for subtraction that is taught in most countries.

What method is that? They have the one I learned, but I'm just in America.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Nautigal
    Originally Posted by 22B

What method is that? They have the one I learned, but I'm just in America.

I posted about it here.
    http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....ing_Ma_knowing_and_teach.html#Post167525
    http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....ing_Ma_knowing_and_teach.html#Post167548

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM