Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/23/in-flipped-classrooms-a-method-for-mastery/
    In ‘Flipped’ Classrooms, a Method for Mastery
    By TINA ROSENBERG
    New York Times
    October 23, 2013, 11:15 am 280 Comments

In traditional schooling, time is a constant and understanding is a variable. A fifth-grade class will spend a set number of days on prime factorization and then move on to study greatest common factors — whether or not every student is ready.

But there is another way to look at schooling — through the lens of a method called “mastery learning,” in which the student’s understanding of a subject is a constant and time is a variable; when each fifth grader masters prime factorization, for instance, he moves on to greatest common factors, each at his own pace.

Mastery learning is not a new idea. It was briefly popular in the 1920s, and was revived by Benjamin Bloom in his paper “Learning for Mastery” in 1968. It has shown dramatic success — compilations of studies can be found here and here.

One of the advantages of mastery learning is that the student, not the teacher, leads — and we know that people learn far better when they are actively involved. The teacher provides materials, tools and constant support. Students set their own goals and manage their own time.

In a traditional classroom, the teacher must aim the lecture at the middle, leaving the faster learners bored and the slower ones lost. Differentiation and personalization are big challenges. But the mastery system allows each student to learn at her own pace.

Mastery also rewards students for actual learning. A student cannot simply turn in a shoddy paper, take the D and move on. If she turns in shoddy work, she can’t move on. She has to keep trying until she demonstrates she fully understands.

Despite these advantages, mastery learning never caught on, mainly because it was a nightmare for teachers. One problem was how to do direct instruction; a teacher can’t give five different lectures in one class. The other was how to test students. Multiple versions of a test were needed so students couldn’t pass them to friends who would be taking them later.

But some teachers are now reviving mastery learning. What is making it feasible is the flipped classroom, a method I wrote about in my most recent column.

This column was

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/09/turning-education-upside-down/
    Turning Education Upside Down
    By TINA ROSENBERG
    New York Times
    October 9, 2013, 11:45 am 348 Comments

If students in a flipped classroom are at very different levels, people may wonder why they are in the same class. Some of the 5th graders may belong with 3rd graders and some with 7th graders. Schools don't want to do this, as it would make for awkward conversations with parents of students who are behind their same-grade peers.

Schools are rewarded for 5th grade students doing well on the the state 5th grade math tests, but not for 5th grade students doing higher level math. This removes an incentive for letting advanced students study topics beyond what is tested in their grade.

What is making it feasible is the flipped classroom, a method I wrote about in my most recent column.

What is making it feasible is the flipped classroom, the illusion that "learning" can be fully automated using modern technology, canned instructional "modules" and in-line multiple choice testing to "evaluate understanding" which only REALLY seems to work with some subjects and some students...

There. Fixed it for her.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    G
    G

This article makes it sound like mastery learning (which I do think is ideal) is only feasible with a flipped classroom. She should visit a Montessori.

^ +1. smile

Discussion format classrooms ALSO make this possible. Colleges have used this method for a very long time. About a thousand years, give or take.

D
    D

B
    B
    Our district has been flipping classrooms as a pilot program and I think they fully intend to implement it district wide at some point. Not sure how I feel about it. For math at least, really nothing can be worse that what they are doing right now. Everyone gets the same math lecture in class and the same worksheet every day.

22B Offline
    Oh I get it. "Flipped classroom" is just a kind of homeschooling.

Z
    Z
    If the initial premise is that differentiated, mastery-based education is an ideal, then what does the ideal classroom look like that meets that need?

How is adequate differentiated instruction going to take place?

I think "flipped" is a bit trite and over-extended into its own definition. Setting that aside, it isn't at all clear how you get to mastery-based without looking a bit flipped?

I've wondered this a lot. Even reflecting on my childhood, or looking at my son and his math interests. It is really hard to see the fair balance in the mix. If you have 20 kids each working at a different pace on different material, in an hour do you give each 3 minutes of direct instruction at their level?

That's a cluster with N=1. What if in the class of twenty your cluster size averages 4? But there are 8 clusters: 4 clusters of 4 and 4 clusters of 1. Do you divide the hour by 8 or by 5? Do some kids get 12 minutes of instruction at their level because they are in a cluster of four and some get 3 miutes? Or is it 7.5 minutes per cluster?

What if you take "home" out of the equation? What would in class flipping look like? 30 minutes of lecture to the middle area while outliers do independent video + reading, then 30 minutes of floating support while kids do problems and experiment or whatnot?

Originally Posted by 22B
    Oh I get it. "Flipped classroom" is just a kind of homeschooling.

:ROFL:

Why.... yes. Yes, it is. grin

C
    C

Flipped classroom done right can be a great way of taking advantage of technology and allowing teachers to work more individually with students. I don't think it is a good idea for children as lectures aren't the traditional way children learn in a classroom anyway. The only way I could see it is if kids are watching entertaining learning videos at home. I have been using some version of flipped classroom techniques at the University level for over a decade. The idea is that let students do things they can do best alone at home like watch lectures, read etc. and use the classroom time for group work and application of the principles etc while the teacher is available and can walk around and interact with the students and busy students don't have to figure out when they can meet to do group work. I fear this is not how the principle will be applied and will be a disaster for children.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM