Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    Hi,

My dd participated in the National Geographic bioblitz held in California this year. She had a great time, learned from very knowledgeable scientists and got excited about research and nature. I got the information on where the next bioblitz will be held. All you living close by should really consider participating. It was really a great experince.

"The next annual National Geographic-National Park Service BioBlitz it's planned for the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, a 15,000-acre urban park accessible to Chicagoans via commuter train.

Indiana Dunes boasts 15 miles of Lake Michigan shoreline, plentiful undulating sand dunes, swamps, prairie, and forest land."

What is BioBlitz? Who can participate (ages, requirements, etc.)? When will this be held?

I'm interested and have some family in that area, so it's not out of the question for us to travel for it, if DS7 is the target audience and if it's something he might enjoy.

Could you share more details, please?

Thanks!

Kriston
    Sounds intriguing. Please tell us more!

OP Offline
    Hi,

Bioblitz is a program sponsored by National Geographic in which a group of scientists and volunteers search for and count all the local plant/animal species over a 24 hour period. We chose sea birds and mammals, but there are also groups that study bugs, snakes, butterflies, flowers, etc.

Children usually need to be over 8 years old but I saw a couple of younger kids there. The scientist we were paired with has published several books on local birds, so he was very knowledgeable and went out of his way to teach my dd about the birds we saw. We also got to see lots of dolphins, a few sea lions and sea otters.

Anyway, if you go to www.nationalgeographic.com/bioblitz you can get more information. I don't think they have set dates for 2009 but if you keep checking on the website they will probably post them soon. They choose a different state every year, so we probably won't be able to do it again anytime soon.

Last edited by bianc850a; 06/01/08 06:45 PM.
    Thanks! That looks really interesting. I'm bookmarking it! smile

Kriston

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM