Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    I'd love some further information about "so many reasons" why it doesn't happen.

I am truly puzzled as to what those might be, and how they are particular to an unflipped classroom. I can think of only one reason why it doesn't happen in practice; an instructor who steamrolls through material and is intolerant of disruptions... er-- much like a video recording. wink

While self-paced learning IS a good differentiation tool, I'm not entirely convinced that flipped classrooms generally support (much less encourage) this.

The danger that I see in flipped classroom pedagogy is that without checks and balances on the process and training for teachers, a mixed-ability classroom could become (probably of necessity) purely about the needs of the slowest learners in that classroom. Quite probably the slowest learners who are also disadvantaged by having a home environment that doesn't support flipped methodology (as noted upthread) will be the students needing the MOST teacher-time. Without providing differentiation, this could well make things even WORSE than they currently are for the fastest learners. Flipped classrooms also require a much lower student-teacher ratio to work well.

Has anyone here had direct experience with a flipped model with their HG+ child(ren) in a standard brick-and-mortar setting?

The flipped experiences that my DD has had (virtual school-- so EVERY class is "flipped" basically, and some are really no-instructor) support the following observations:

a) without differentiated material, it's just as problematic as any other instructional model-- and in some ways worse (over-analyzing material/assessments) mixed ability classes still don't meet the needs of anyone but the middle of the distribution. (This isn't a problem with either flipped/unflipped, by the way-- but a problem with mixed ability classrooms).

b) students STILL come to class unprepared to work-- then the teacher spends the time on remedial instruction rather than anything that well-prepared (or faster) students can actually use.

I'm also skeptical that instructional video modules (presumably mass-produced by curriculum developers) will be high quality. If textbooks are as poorly produced as they seem to be these days, then why would videos be better? My daughter has experienced that with both Connections and Pearson content.

I also have concerns about "you don't know what you don't know" in both traditional models, and this is one reason why I think that a hybrid approach tends to be the best overall model for the vast majority of learners (no matter their ability). Again, though, it's not something that works with a high student: teacher ratio.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 10/28/13 08:15 AM. Reason: because my initially brief question read as unintentionally abrasive/hostile-- and that wasn't how I intended it.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    22B Offline
    Hey I've got a great idea for a "flipped classroom" in Physical Education. Kids could exercise for two hours a day at home. And then in PE class they could sit around and ask the PE teacher questions. I bet those kids would be fitter than they are now, which just goes to show what a great use of classroom time that would be.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by 22B
    ... a "flipped classroom" in Physical Education...
    LOL.

Individual and societal health may be improved by emphasizing lifelong fitness, learning how one's body type may be conducive to a different selection of exercise activities or sports, understanding the role of nutrition, hydration, etc on overall health. Having groups of kids run a mile on hot asphalt while growing dehydrated does not seem to provide "physical education"...?

A
    A
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Hey I've got a great idea for a "flipped classroom" in Physical Education. Kids could exercise for two hours a day at home. And then in PE class they could sit around and ask the PE teacher questions. I bet those kids would be fitter than they are now, which just goes to show what a great use of classroom time that would be.

*Applauds*

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Actually-- I agree, indigo. smile

Much of what happens in "PE" class does little to promote a lifelong habit of personal activity and it's certainly not adapted to individual preference or needs.

I think that what most critics are concerned/suspicious about is that it seems to be just the latest FAD in education philosophy.

The more troubling thing about that is that good educators have always used in-class applications/discussion/activities in order to promote learning, and have always (or nearly so) included outside-of-class reading, research, or exercises to better utilize class time-- which begs the question--

where have these educational theorists been observing and spending their time, eh?

Probably not in those classrooms, right? And what is it with this need to embrace EXTREMES?? How much more evidence will it take before those rolling out educational "change" finally figure out that extremes (in testing-obsessed teaching, in homework, in pedagogy, etc) really do NOT work for very many students at a time?

I do sort of shake my head at that. There doesn't seem to be any major push to keep what is working for the students for whom it IS working, while offering up solutions for the others (for whom it isn't). Nope-- one ring to bind them all, as it were.

Where I worry about that most (as a parent) is that this attitude treats ALL students as roughly interchangeable parts in the machine, and deviations simply don't compute. This is what we've found in my DD's flipped/virtual experiences. The exception is with highly skilled teachers who are willing to be more flexible than the curriculum intends. Otherwise, she masters "the curriculum" in short order, (without much depth, of course-- because there isn't any in "the curriculum" which is intended to serve as a checklist for ALL students) and then waits... and waits... and waits... for classmates.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Originally Posted by 22B
    ... a "flipped classroom" in Physical Education...
    LOL. But really. Individual and societal health may be improved by emphasizing lifelong fitness, learning how one's body type may be conducive to a different selection of exercise activities or sports, understanding the role of nutrition, hydration, etc on overall health. Having everyone run a mile on hot asphalt while growing dehydrated does not seem to provide "physical education"...?

I understand the criticism, but I think you need some exposure to modern PE classes- this is exactly what they do. Our kids still spend some time learning traditional sports, but the majority of the time is spent on fitness and/or playground type games, even at the middle school level. They learn how to use the fitness center (treadmills and ellipticals, weights, etc) and focus a lot on outside activities that translate easily to life after school. We haven't gotten to the high school level yet, but I understand they can choose between various units that include Archery. Orienteering, snowshoeing, aerobic dance, in-line skating, tai-chi, etc. And yes, they do have lots of teaching about fitness and nutrition/health, though a good portion of that happens in their mandatory health classes.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Has anyone here had direct experience with a flipped model with their HG+ child(ren) in a standard brick-and-mortar setting?

DD9 has a flipped math classroom (4th grade, doing 5th grade curriculum in a HG program). She spends fractionally longer watching videos at home than she used to spend on her math homework. She does not take notes on the videos (which she is supposed to do), but the teacher has been giving her a pass on that because her understanding is good. She has complained about the low level of many of the videos, but she still (mostly) watches them. One benefit that I see is that she doesn't have a chance to lose her math homework if she does it and turns it in during class.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by cricket3
    ... modern PE classes...
    Please consider that what you describe may not be implemented universally; There is not Common Core PE.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    I think that what most critics are concerned/suspicious about is that it seems to be just the latest FAD in education philosophy.

The more troubling thing about that is that good educators have always used in-class applications/discussion/activities in order to promote learning, and have always (or nearly so) included outside-of-class reading, research, or exercises to better utilize class time-- which begs the question--

where have these educational theorists been observing and spending their time, eh?

Probably not in those classrooms, right? And what is it with this need to embrace EXTREMES?? How much more evidence will it take before those rolling out educational "change" finally figure out that extremes (in testing-obsessed teaching, in homework, in pedagogy, etc) really do NOT work for very many students at a time?

Agree completely. I don't even see why some people would elevate it to the level where it even needs a name.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM