Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 205 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    I've watched this part four times. I'm just not understanding why you chose to do step 2 this way.

With a live teacher, that question is answered immediately. With a video, the misunderstanding may derail learning for a LONG time.

No, I don't think it would derail learning for a long time because the next day the kid is supposed to go into class and ask the teacher about Step 2. Or the teacher can see that the kid does not get it based on the kid answering questions wrong on the quiz. And then the teacher can work with that kid one-on-one or in a small group of kids that don't get it. I never raised my hand and asked why something was done the way it was done in math or said "I don't get it" in the middle of a lecture. I don't really remember anyone who did. I just took it home and struggled with the textbook. There was very little opportunity to interact with the teacher one on one in class or talk to other kids.

I'm all in favor of removing boring lectures and class discussions geared "toward the middle" in the classroom. The same topics are reviewed over and over and over to everyone so that everyone finally understands the concepts. I cringe to think of how much time my kids are going to waste in the classroom listening to the teachers talk about things they learned a long time ago. I'm surprised more people here on a gifted forum don't agree.

I can see some advantage to my kids although I expect it would just mean they spent most of the class reading as they would have finished the work. But my kids are a very small proportion of the class and I don't believe that the possible advantages to my kids outweigh the disadvantages to kids who a) don't have a computer ar home or don't get to use it because big brother/uncle/cousin/dad is playing games on it, 2) live in environments where doing schoolwork is considered as being available to mind the baby/run to the shop/do something useful, 3) the child needs to work in the evenings (this is obviously older kids but the child might be minding kids all evening too.

I am not in favour of further disadvantaging this disadvantaged. If they want to flip some specific classrooms that is fine but it should be optional.

B
    B
    Interesting article on flipped classrooms:

http://www.ascd.org/publications/ed...ipped-Classrooms-Is-Still-Coming-In.aspx

In our district the teachers in the pilot program were pretty unanimous about liking the flipped classrooms (for math) and the kids and parents felt positively overall, as well. If a kid doesn't have access to a computer at home, there are other options.

I
    I
    Interesting article on flipped classrooms...
    Thanks for sharing this. smile

Originally Posted by aquinas
    I have to wonder if flipped classrooms make teacher time in class more inefficient because the teacher's search costs of grouping like questions rises. Along the lines of Zen Scanner's earlier comments, if 5 students have the same question but are unable to stop the teacher in real-time to voice their question, how long does it take the teacher to first identify the students with similar questions and, second, actually address the underlying misunderstanding? It's not like students will line up based on the time in the video where their questions first arose.

I think flipped classrooms ignore the path dependency of learning. Learning, IMO, arises from an endogenous dialogue between the student and teacher, and flipped classrooms assume there is a fixed linear path for learning for all students. It sounds like the method could, if used incorrectly, actually become less adaptive to individual needs than traditional methods. I also echo DeeDee's concern that the model over-assumes teacher ability to effectively differentiate.

That is precisely what happens.

MOST college STEM laboratories are taught as more-or-less "flipped" and always have been.

It is incredibly inefficient, however-- because you'll answer the same question about four to six times in a four hour lab-- each student requiring a 15 minutes explanation while their classmates wait for you.

My personal experience suggests that ONLY struggling students get teacher-time in that model. Now, the argument can be made that this is appropriate, but I think (as parent to a giftie) that this is morally WRONG. Advanced students who are NOT struggling to master the basics ought to get some love from the expert, too, KWIM?

The other thing that a flipped classroom does is deprive students of the opportunity to learn from the questions of classmates-- or to simply check their own understanding (by comparing their answer with the instructor's).

I'd argue that students who are at a predictable and uniform learning readiness and background knowledge are least in need of an expert live teacher-- that's sort of the point, that canned video makes a series of assumptions about preparation and level of ability to learn at a particular pace and with a particular level of detail offered. Those assumptions are not necessarily true for non-normative students.

If you have a class of 30 students, it may well be that four of them have a single question about the same thing because of a common feature in their background as learners.

OR-- two of them may want to know if {alternative viewpoint} is equally valid, in light of {other information}. Perhaps one wants to know if the current topic is correctly associated with {this other thing} via {mechanism/connection}.

Those are the kinds of things that make class interactions with a subject expert highly worthwhile, and truly-- far richer than a canned video watched at home with the TV on for background noise. frown

I'm sad that so few people have apparently experienced an open- or soft-lecture format, where pauses for reflection/interaction/application are common. A supportive environment like that is REALLY superior to either a pure lecture or a completely flipped classroom, IMO. It's better for both tails, and WAY better for the center of the distribution, too.

I also think that it does a better job of fostering a positive learning community-- which DRASTICALLY improves teaching efficiency-- where students communicate with one another dynamically about class material.

I think that it is tempting to assume that flipping a classroom results in self-pacing, but that is NOT the case.

Nor is it the case that flipping classrooms makes differentiation or ability-grouping easier or more likely.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    S
    S
    But many times in my career as a student I felt like I was one of the few who came to class having read the material that was asked to be read (speaking of undergrad and graduate school college level here). I assume many people read the book but not necessarily on the time schedule requested. If you asked students to read the material AND watch a lecture before class...I can only imagine that I there would be even less who had done the all the prep work.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    The theory is sound but difficulties lie in the implementation. The best online course providers are managing to do a creditable job. DS10 can finally go his own pace in his online algebra course. However, the course is not just video lectures and multiple choice assessments; there are plenty of teacher graded essay problems and required regular one-on-one teacher-student discussions. The students also collaborate a number of times during the course and can participate in discussion forums. Tutoring and review sessions are also available throughout the course. It's just so nice that DS can move on when he is ready and not when he has completed a certain number of problems or when the rest of the class has caught up. Technology like email and skype are wonderful learning tools.

What online algebra course is this?

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Sweetie
    But many times in my career as a student I felt like I was one of the few who came to class having read the material that was asked to be read (speaking of undergrad and graduate school college level here). I assume many people read the book but not necessarily on the time schedule requested. If you asked students to read the material AND watch a lecture before class...I can only imagine that I there would be even less who had done the all the prep work.

At university I very rarely had time to read screeds of material before classes. After all I had 6 to 10 courses at any one time and there was no co-ordination of workload. Usually things got done in order of due date. I did preread labs and prewrite the bits I could - that way I could knock the lab report out in the same day and cross it off the list.

I just occurred to me how much easier some things must be now with computers and the internet (computers did exist but they weren't really used and most people didn't have them.

Originally Posted by Sweetie

That's what I think, too.

I occasionally teased my students that if they walked out of the local Borders having just dropped $100 on a book, not a one of them would wait until they even got it HOME to crack it open... wink

I knew that only about half of them read the text. Or did any other kind of preparation for coming to class, quite frankly.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    I
    I
    I'm with puffin on having options. Each option may offer significant benefits for different kids and their families. Not sure how options would work... teacher A is holding regular class, teacher B is holding flipped class... families choose which option they prefer and make a 1-year commitment?

I'm wondering how this may reflect in research? My hunch is that both groups would perform better than a control group (students in the previous year, students who did not make a choice). An improvement in performance may occur simply because these families made a choice and feel something at stake in making it work. An improvement in performance may also occur because they chose a learning system which best suited their needs, learning style, etc.

D
    D
    I'm surprised more people here on a gifted forum don't agree.

I agree with you blackcat. I wouldn't read too much into the verbose comments of a few self-declared experts on this forum. For some, the flipped classroom and its success is a point of insecurity. I suppose this comes from the apparent contradiction between the success of the flipped programs and the belief that students can't learn that way.

It seems to me that some people are really over-emphasizing the importance of the possibility for students to interrupt a teacher's lecture with questions. There are so many reasons that this doesn't really happen in practice. When you don't understand a topic, you usually don't know what it is you don't understand about it.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM