Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    FERPA is far less protective than HIPAA-- and information that you provide to the school is automatically leaving the protection of the latter.

This is why I've not provided them with access to my child's physician(s), medical records (except specific questions to be asked of our providers), etc.

Need to know.

Then again-- once you enter IEP/504 territory, there's a secondary privacy issue involved in keeping a HIDDEN disability confidential, too.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    I think I'm going to put CONFIDENTIAL on every single email, even if it's something silly like "DS needs to leave 10 minutes early today." Of course they can still circulate it but at least I'm sending a message to them that I don't want emails forwarded. And for anything involving private or personal information, I will email and ask them when the are available to talk on the phone or in person.

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by daytripper75
    I read something about dealing with managers at work that said that it is important for employees to find what the bosses communication style was (in person, phone, email, paper note) and to mirror it.
    It is just plain rude for the teacher and principal not to write back to you!

This works best for me. My preferred communication method is email, but some teachers hate that. I had one teacher who was happy with drop in after school visits, and another who preferred notes in my son's agenda. I just do what works for each teacher. This year they both like email so I'm pretty happy smile

E
    E
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    I think I'm going to put CONFIDENTIAL on every single email, even if it's something silly like "DS needs to leave 10 minutes early today."

Actually, I think you will have better luck if you only mark those emails that actually include confidential information, even if you have a pretty expansive definition of "confidential." If you mark even obviously nonconfidential emails, you run a greater risk of their deciding to ignore it in all cases.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    I think I'm going to put CONFIDENTIAL on every single email, even if it's something silly like "DS needs to leave 10 minutes early today."

Actually, I think you will have better luck if you only mark those emails that actually include confidential information, even if you have a pretty expansive definition of "confidential." If you mark even obviously nonconfidential emails, you run a greater risk of their deciding to ignore it in all cases.

Good point. I'm just going to call on the phone whenever possible from now on, even if I have to leave 5 messages before people call me back. I'll say in my message that if I'm not here when they return my call, let me know when a good time would be to call them back.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM