Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Welcome aboard Edwin and I look forward to reading about the year ahead! I hope it's filled w/ wonderful surprises!

Ann Offline
    Hello Edwin! smile It's nice to have you join us. Best wishes to your son this school year.

So, not challenging!
    Thanks for sharing your story and your point of view.
    Camping with the Boy Scouts, what a great way to spend the weekend.

Edwin,

I don't think you or any other parent whose child attends a private school has anything to apologize for. If it's a good fit for your child and your family, I am glad that such schools exist.

Cathy

C
    C
    Edwin I sincerely wish you and your family the best for next year.

But this, I mean, come on! Most gifted kids don't have this. Of course Mirman is like this. And saying " I don't mean to brag?" I do realize I am in the minority here thinking this kind of "not bragging" is repugnant.
    Originally Posted by bianc850a
    Ok. So I will give you guys one (or a few) more reason(s) to DOK and then I promise to be quiet for the rest of the school year (10 more days!!)

Room one has become even smaller (only 15 children per classroom) with two teachers.

We are getting five new teachers. Our new coordinator of Educational Technology for the lower school comes with a Masters in Technology in Education from the Harvard Graduate School of Education. Although this is the teacher who I am most impressed by, all the others come with equally impressive credentials.

The new center for communications will be completed next month. It will have 2 additional classrooms, a great library (with a special place for authors to come and read to the small children) and a conference room to be used for distance education (it will have state of the art computers)

The science rooms (both lower and upper school) will be upgraded with more modern equipment/new furniture.

The computer labs will have new computers.

The new electronic white boards will be installed. Then next year the school will go to one-on-one laptop program.

Sorry guys, I don't mean to brag, it is just that our headmaster just hosted a "headmaster's coffee" to update us on all the things going on next year.

calizephyr, a school like Mirman is only a fantasy for my family. There is a private school for the gifted here in the Bay Area (Nueva School) which is a beautiful place in Hillsborough, CA. We couldn't even afford to rent a house close enough to Hillsborough that our kids could attend. We live on the other side of the bay. I went to Nueva School for a conference on gifted education. They had all the big names there including Dr. Ruf, Dr. Silverman and the Drs. Eide. The students there have a steel drum band. It's all very posh.

It makes me sad that I can't offer these kinds of opportunities to my kids, but I really don't begrudge others their happiness. I wasn't upset by bianc850a's post. I just took it as her sharing her happiness and satisfaction with the school. Also, a good review by her may help someone else on this board who could have access to that school.

W
    W
    Question: Most schools like this, around here, have plenty of financial aid, since fundraising has been strong over the last several years. If your kids are testing HG, don't they offer tuition relief?

These schools sound like St. Ann's in Brooklyn, which is 30K per year, but if they want your child, they will offer scholarship. Is that not an option?

Ren

*sigh*

Okay, calizephyr. We get it. You've been heard and your point is clear.

But I think it's also pretty clear from the responses that the majority of us are not as insulted by the mere existence of the school as you are, nor are we likely to be. Schools like this exist, and the consensus seems to be that Bianca has a right to say nice things about the school, just as you have enjoyed the right to say how much you don't like it. You're now moving into personal attack territory, and I'm personally uncomfortable with that.

Think we could move on now? Please?

Kriston
    Originally Posted by Wren
    Question: Most schools like this, around here, have plenty of financial aid, since fundraising has been strong over the last several years. If your kids are testing HG, don't they offer tuition relief?

These schools sound like St. Ann's in Brooklyn, which is 30K per year, but if they want your child, they will offer scholarship. Is that not an option?

Ren

Ren, it may be worth a try but I think it very unlikely that Nueva would offer our family sufficient financial aid. Why would they when they have a waiting list full of people who will pay full price?

C
    C
    Ok, Kriston. Fair enough.

Cathy, your points are interesting.
    As far as wren's question, here in LA private school tuitions are going up to insane levels. Around or will be over 30 grand (also consider all the donations they want as well). The fin aid packages offered to some middle class folks I know were not that great, I mean even at half off, 15 grand is a lot. There's waiting lists and lines out the door for these schools. The failure that is LAUSD causes a sad scramble here.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM