Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Nautigal
    They can teach him all the finer points of how to fly, all they want to, but in the end, he's going to remain a fish anyway.

Totally going to steal this and share it with my friends. Love it, Nautigal!

N
    N
    Thanks! smile It's an analogy that came to me one day -- unfortunately, it was brilliantly phrased when it came to me, and then I forgot the rest of it and that's all I have left. Ahh, speaking of memory.

I got DS a binder pouch for every one of his binders this year, and put everything on that teacher's list in each one, so he would not have to worry about needing a pencil or marker that was in his locker or in another binder. Now, at almost the end of the first quarter, I find out that he takes his backpack to every class, and it seems to be hit or miss on the binders.

He has a planner that the school gives every student, and it's had exactly one day of stuff written in it so far.

They have gmail accounts and can share papers with teachers, and it seems to be used sporadically.

C
    C
    One of my son's teachers had this, she called it a BEE Book, Bring Everything Everywhere Book- he lost it within the first few weeks of school

C
    C
    My kid doesn't remember his homework assignments either, I'm thinking about tying a string around his wrist, so that when he is in class and looks at it, he will remember-

N
    N
    Then he has to remember to look at the string, and then remember what the string is for. smile

N
    N
    Hey, Lisa, the rest came back to me last night -- I was emailing one of DS's teachers and my brain reached out and found the rest of the fish thing somewhere.

"We can buy him fancy wings, and give him flying lessons, and nag him every day to practice flying, or we can stop enabling him, kick him out of the tree and tell him he just has to learn to fly by himself, but in the end he's still going to be a fish."

C
    C
    @Nautigal- I figure the string is right there on his wrist in plain view, not tucked away in his backpack like his homework is- the string he can't help but see, would remind him of that homework tucked away in his backpack.. and it's common to put a rubber band on your wrist as a memory tool especially when you have problems remembering things.. I don't want him to smack himself with a rubber band, so I was thinking a string would be better

Last edited by CrazyMom2013; 10/19/13 03:19 AM.
    P
    P
    Just out of curiousity does he see value in passing his courses so he can go to the next grade with his class. I mean what happens if he actually fails?

D
    D
    Originally Posted by ABQMom
    For any of you dealing with memory processing issues, do you have any suggestions for what has worked for you?

Mix of things, the biggest being special ed support. He meets 10 min. late in the day with the special ed teacher, who makes sure his binder is orderly and that everything is written in the planner. This is coaching, not doing for him, with the idea that it's just taking ages to become automatic.

The other thing is good communication with teachers and natural consequences regarding taking responsibility. Last week DS got 100 on an online test by doing the work in his head, but forgot to show the work on paper (therefore, technically a zero). We sent him into school 10 minutes early the next day, having practiced a script of what to say to the math teacher to make it right. Amazingly, he did... And he now gets the point that if you don't show work it makes a hassle later. Learning is happening...

N
    N
    Originally Posted by CrazyMom2013
    @Nautigal- I figure the string is right there on his wrist in plain view, not tucked away in his backpack like his homework is- the string he can't help but see, would remind him of that homework tucked away in his backpack.. and it's common to put a rubber band on your wrist as a memory tool especially when you have problems remembering things.. I don't want him to smack himself with a rubber band, so I was thinking a string would be better

Sorry, speaking for myself, and facetiously, there. smile I would forget the string was there at all, and if I noticed it, would then ask myself what the heck that was for.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM