Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 208 of 268 1 2 206 207 208 209 210 267 268
    M
    M
    Thanks! I hope his note works! I am glad to see him being proactive and asking for what he needs. I did direct him to give it to the gifted teacher, though, instead of his regular teacher, even though it is addressed to both of them.

Last year in K, he began to show definite underachiever tendencies, and it really concerned us. He really, really wants to learn, and has been so disappointed in school because it is so very easy for him.

I am definitely going to follow up with the teachers after he gives them the note. He has a GIEP, but their position is that they will not accelerate in math; only provide differentiated work. In practice, this means that they will not teach him above grade level math, but they will let him practice it. I don't think they were counting on the fact that he is going to continue to learn new math skills, though, even if he isn't being taught them at school. wink

D
    D
    ha - that really IS so amazing that teachers (of all people) could think that they might be able to stop learning from happening. i recently had a hilarious conversation with a high school teacher who had overheard DD casually drawing parallels between equivalent fractions. she was very worried that i was "letting" DD5 learn to reduce fractions at such a young age. uhhh, yeah. i wish that woman joy trying to STOP that sort of thing from happening. smile

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    C
    C
    Really proud of DD10. The first post-skip quarter is at an end and she made the A honor roll

Science, Bible 100
    Math, Spelling, Reading 99
    History 98
    Handwriting 97
    Language 94

Sorry to be so specific but husband and grandparents are the only ones I can share those grades with without receiving an eye roll.

The only negative is that it seems that even though she is busier during the day and actually comes home with homework, most of it seems to be unnecessary busy work. More and more, its looking like next year we are also going to have to homeschool this child with her sister until high school. I'm sure like lots of you, I wish I had known exactly how gifted she was much earlier in the game.

F
    F
    EJ took 1st place for 2nd grade in the Mathnasium trimathelon this morning! His scores are now entered for their naional competition!

A
    A
    DS2 read parts of his birthday cards in front of my in-laws (and other family), dispelling all former snide suggestions about a previously not-quite-2-year-old not being able to read. He sounded out "Gap" and "Tonka" phonetically, and on film, too.

Subversive MIL might have needed to change herself. You might catch a whiff of something in my writing...schadenfreude.

I
    I
    Sharing your joy in kiddos' accomplishments, each time I read this thread. smile

Originally Posted by drtrum
    ... I wish I had known exactly how gifted she was much earlier in the game.
    Yes!

M
    M
    My dd3 just drew a maze - ok so it's a bit rough but def still a maze. So proud right now. Does it make a diff that she followed it up with pointing her backside at me, waiving it rythmically while humming the tune for Big Ben? :-)

Originally Posted by squishys
    DS7 recently went to a trial art class for kids. They have a 5-8 year old group and a 8-13 year old group; my son went to the former. When enrolling him to continue, the teacher suggested he join the latter.

Wouldn't it be nice if all classes went by ability, rather than age?

Indeed. Our DD had a similar experience when trying out a drama class.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by squishys
    DS7 recently went to a trial art class for kids. They have a 5-8 year old group and a 8-13 year old group; my son went to the former. When enrolling him to continue, the teacher suggested he join the latter.

Wouldn't it be nice if all classes went by ability, rather than age?

goodness, YES. DD5's dance and swimming have done that for her and it is the best thing ever. she'll get stuck at a certain point (Bronze Med/pointe) and we'll need to mark some time in other ways, but if they didn't accelerate as needed, they'd lose a whack of talented kids who would otherwise drop the activities out of boredom. funny how this concept doesn't often seem to extend to academics... (sigh)

oh, and squishys... i hope we'll be seeing some of your DS' new artwork over at The Ultimate Art Thread soon! smile

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    A
    A
    So excited...kindergarten is actually doing differentiated learning...dd(5) is getting pulled out daily by the reading teacher for reading / writing. Nearest I can tell, they are starting with second grade work. Best of all, the school did this themselves - no advocacy needed!

Page 208 of 268 1 2 206 207 208 209 210 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM