Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    E
    E
    I just wanted to give this tip, which I found to improve my own handwriting (drastically) recently. My handwriting had been getting much worse over the last few years and I didn't understand why. Then I realized, I had begun "leading" wirh different fingers... or should i say, I stopped "leading" with the "correct" finger: my middle finger on my right hand.

Since I was a kid, I had very good handwriting, and even got the "best handwriting" award in the 4th grade. I didn't realize I did this, but I always "led" with my middle finger. It's odd to describe because no one ever told me to do this, but... I naturally just used my middle finger, on the hand I wrote with, my right hand, to express my thoughts and ideas. It's as if my middle finger was naturally guiding the writing, and the ideas and words were "flowing through" that finger.

Well, over the years, as I developed more stress, bills piled up, and I developed a sense of stress and anxiety, somehow I lost my nautral tendency to use my strongest finger (which, like I said, I didn't even realize I had done to begin with). For some reason I started "leading" my writing with my ring finger or pinky. It's as if, as I lost focus, my HAND lost focus, and my ideas and thoughts were drifting to other fingers.

I know this may sound odd, but... for anyone who has poor handwriting, I just wanted to suggest that you try focusing on using your right middle finger, when you write (or whatever your strongest finger is). It works brilliantly. I even did a test on a piece of paper, writing "the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy black dog" and was surprised to see how it turned out, using different fingers.

Using my pointer finger and ring finger, the handwriting was about the same: impatient, a little smaller, kind of messy but legible. Looked a little like my Mom's writing. Hasty but to the point. She doesn't mince words.

Concentrating on using my pinky, it was very very small and hard to read, kind of like a doctor's handwriting.

But using my middle finger, the handwriting was decisive, "swirly" and easy to read. That's the handwriting that people have always made nice comments on.

God only knows why I started switching over to the other fingers... I guess it's just plain aging and stress. It makes you do crazy things you otherwise wouldn't.

Just wanted to share this with anyone else who may have a similar issue. My stepdaughter has handwriting issues and I'm going to share this with her as well.

B
    B
    I think a lot depends on the teacher. Last year DD had a teacher who was laid-back and didn't correct the kids much, so her handwriting morphed from very neat to a messy scrawl, and this year in third grade the teacher is strict and seems to demand good handwriting so DD puts more effort into it. Not sure that "strict" is always good though, if a child ends up perfectionistic or anxious about pleasing the teacher.

DS, my 1st grader, has major fine motor issues and has an awkward pencil grasp, plus weak hand muscles, so he uses a grip called the "Crossover" which helps a lot.

D
    D
    Writing demands go up dramatically year by year across elementary school. At some point where the demand swamps what the kid can do-- that's when hidden disabilities sometimes become more apparent.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    ... plus weak hand muscles, so he uses a grip called the "Crossover" which helps a lot.
    Those crossover pencil grips are awesome. Similarly, for those needing help joining in activities outside the classroom there are many aids available, including these favorite gloves which may help compensate for a weak grip for sports like waterskiing (link- http://www.h2oproshop.com/masterline-pro-lock-curves-waterski-gloves.html) YMMV

The classroom is just one place where kids may need accommodation as gifted kids and 2e kids have to live with their reality 24/7. Hopefully by seeing others help them gain accommodations, this role modeling helps them seamlessly advocate for themselves in everyday life as they grow toward independence.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM