Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Originally Posted by Nautigal
    DD7 is obsessed with the "Who Would Win" books -- "Who Would Win, Cobra vs Komodo Dragon", "Who Would Win, Whale vs Giant Squid", etc.

They are pretty small books, but they have lots of information and cool pictures, and they pit the strengths and weaknesses of each animal against each other to determine which one would win if they fought.

She gets them from Scholastic.

Definitely not for everyone, but there are also some real-world videos on Youtube that illustrate such things.

Yes, like the honey badger video.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by jholland1203
    books... that have tons of facts about animals or science type stuff?
    DK books, Dorling Kindersley ... (link- http://us.dk.com/) To see their selection, from the home page choose children's ... for a gifted 7-year-old, you may want to choose age 8+ ... lots of science, animal, nature, and other topics.

J
    OP Offline
    J
    These are all great selections! I think she would love everything listed so far. I will take her to the bookstore this weekend with all of these and let her choose. I got her a Magic Treehouse book the other day as well (Target has them on sale for about $3). She has yet to tough it because she is so immersed in the National Geographic. She did make a comment that she loves non-fiction, preferably animals facts.

J
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by chay
    I know you're looking for books so this is off topic but has she seen Kratt's Creatures -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RYkBflhbg

They are a bit dated but have lots of great info about a lot of animals. DS7 is doing animals at school right now and is exhausting the teacher with all of the animal facts that he's absorbed from that show over the past couple of years.

The Kratt brothers also have a newer series called Wild Kratts which is mostly animated and has villains that they save the animals from. Underneath the cartoon stuff they actually do cover a lot of info about animals but it is a bit more subtle. It's a good gateway show for kids that don't like "boring science" shows like my nephews.

We watched a video on the recent findings of mermaids (forget the channel and title). DD went to school and told the teacher and other students that mermaids are real and they found a skeleton etc. The teacher didn't appreciate that much lol

A
    A
    Another online complement to books: http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/

These definitive visual guides are visually stunning and chock full of information:
    http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/0520244060

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Originally Posted by Nautigal
    DD7 is obsessed with the "Who Would Win" books -- "Who Would Win, Cobra vs Komodo Dragon", "Who Would Win, Whale vs Giant Squid", etc.

They are pretty small books, but they have lots of information and cool pictures, and they pit the strengths and weaknesses of each animal against each other to determine which one would win if they fought.

She gets them from Scholastic.

Definitely not for everyone, but there are also some real-world videos on Youtube that illustrate such things.

Yes, like the honey badger video.

"Honey badger don't care!"

Become what you are
    Not books I know but full on tremendous are the Blue Planet and Planet Earth series from the BBC. Just mesmerising and sure to spur a myriad of inquiries in a lively mind.

Become what you are
    K
    K
    My girls LOVE Ranger Rick magazine and have been reading it for years.

Other good scientific magazines would be Odessey, Zoobooks, Muse, Ask, and Faces. All add free.

Other books:

DK & Eyewitness Animal books--- a whole series on broader topics (Mammals, Animals, etc and also specific ones like Birds, Dinosaurs, Dogs, Apes, etc) GREAT pictures and information

Magic School Bus & supplemental Magic TreeHouse books, Biographies on famous scientists like Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey, etc or even the animals themselves : KoKo, Balto, etc.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM