Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 205 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    P
    P
    Things sound good.

Originally Posted by Val
    I think this characteristic of very intelligent people (not just kids) is missed in our schools and in society in general. Schools look at grades: you're not getting A+++++s with garlands, which shows that you haven't mastered this stuff and you're certainly not ready to skip ahead. I suspect this conclusion seems obvious to people who don't grok giftedness (and especially the highly-or-more gifted). frown I've seen this in the workplace, too. Admittedly, it's more complex in a job, but still, there's a problem with over-emphasis on credentials in many hiring situations.

Yeah my DD groks fractions but is slow with simple arithmetic. Similarly I was shocked at how quickly she grasped the concept of a radix to get through the last room of Lure of the Labyrinth given how slow she can seem with simple arithmetic at times. She also got the '10 kinds of people in the world.... ' binary joke too. It is amazing how my DD can go from being a super smart alien given a hard challenge to the world's first surviving brain donor when given something easy.

Become what you are
    {nodding} I'm laughing at that description, because it also describes my DD to a tee.

Has anyone else here noticed that their kids sometimes do better when given a greater challenge? Especially if it's a much greater challenge?

YES. Emphatically.

Honestly, we've never really found a situation in which our DD was truly "out of her depth."

I'm so glad to hear that the OP's situation is improved so dramatically! That's very exciting and lovely to hear. smile

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 02/16/14 10:53 AM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks!

And yes, my DD is like that, too-- she's into probability and fractions and algebra, but she still makes careless errors on her 2-digit addition and subtraction. I think she's better at concepts than details.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM