Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 187 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    #170994 10/11/13 10:53 AM
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    hello, friends!

since we've talked a lot about art recently, here is the long-promised Art Thread. please post your images somewhere and tell some stories!

i'll get us going with the latest from DD5, who recently taught herself aspects of perspective. this is her first work using a proper vanishing point, which we discussed in homeschool today.

[Linked Image from s9.postimg.org]

ready, steady, GO! can't wait to see the rest...

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    H
    H
    We don't have any talent in this area but I showed your DD's drawing to my DS6 and he really enjoyed it. We are both so impressed!! Thanks for sharing it. Lovely to see the advanced techniques she is showing and that she is getting to grow that talent in home school.

D
    OP Offline
    D
    oh, that's so cool! and yeah - homeschool, is just... wow. last year, all she did in school was scribble and count on her fingers because that's what was expected. this year - she is clearly eating up concepts like there's no tomorrow.

i had a dream that i sent some of her current work to her one of her old teachers just to give her an aneurysm. (indeed, i am a terrible, terrible person!)

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    A
    A
    That's impressive, doubtfulguest! The colourful blending of sky and land is also quite eye-catching. It's a picture that you can linger over and appreciate.

Homeschooling is definitely paying off. It's reassuring to know that your daughter is enjoying herself so much and, obviously, blossoming even after her bad school experience.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    H
    H
    Hee hee. I must admit having a few fantasies about DS' old teachers as well... We had 3 phenomenal teachers, 2 so-so, 2 awful, and 1 clueless one before jumping ship. I can totally relate to that feeling.

D
    OP Offline
    D
    ha, HappilyMom, maybe we also need an Ultimate Comeback Thread - one where everyone can work out the stuff they can't actually say...

I
    I
    Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
    ... since we've talked a lot about art recently, here is the long-promised Art Thread. please post your images somewhere and tell some stories! ... ready, steady, GO! can't wait to see the rest...
    How enjoyable! smile Are you familiar with the make-it kits... kids can draw their masterpiece on special paper which is then sent away and comes back incorporated into a plate. In addition to being a novel way to permanently keep some of your child's favorite portfolio pieces, we found this made a great party or play date activity. Here is a link to the one we used, there may be other brands as well - http://www.makit.com/Content.aspx?Page=ARTPROJECTS

F
    F
    Here is a piece Frannie (age 9 3rd grade when completed) completed in the spring for art class. They were learning and modeling Wayne Thiebaud.

http://postimg.org/image/plnjbyqm5/

edited to add ... oooo that is BIG sorry

Last edited by frannieandejsmom; 10/13/13 01:24 PM.
    I
    I
    YUMM! The student may have surpassed the master... her treats seem even more tempting than Wayne Thiebaud's.

What strikes me among these different works which parents have posted are the detail and the dedication of time. These are not quick sketches but show persistence and completion.

Impressive and fun to see.
    smile

Doubtful...

First off-(((hugs))) to you for posting this!

My son (6.6) wants to know what the red thing is next to the blue bird sitting on the railing.

I'll scan my son's "Pandor's Clonkacoris" later this week. (His rendition of a device he would invent to eradicate eye drops for kids who need vision therapy.)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM