Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 35 1 2 3 4 5 34 35
    L
    L
    Hey All!
    Hope you had great Memorial Day weekends!!
    Quick question for those in the know.... If DYS asked for additional items, and then you send them, when do they get reviewed? Do you become part of that months pool, or is there a separate review?
    Thanks!!!

Lukemac, I think that they review them as they arrive - but don't quote me!

Thanks for the Memorial Day wishes - Lukemac, it's really great that DYS wanted more info. Very often this leads to acceptance.

And even if it doesn't, you still have the same great kid you've always had!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    L
    L
    Thanks Grin!!
    Will let you know!
    I feel deep inside that he is PG and that he could benefit from DYS... The bigger question for now, is could I prove it! If I can't, then I will put it on my back burner, enjoy my love bug and see what 1st grade brings!
    Thanks for the support....

Hi Lukemac...
    Our experience for our DD10 that we applied for the first time without portfolio and they came back and asked for more info or work samples since I didn't have collection of work samples at that time..I waited about 6 months and re-apply with work samples and accepted.
    I feel the same way too, I feel that my DD is PG, but I think I didn't do a good job on how I described DD in very detail in 1st time application.

Good luck to you....

We applied without IQ scores. Along with work samples, I wrote a letter (I think it was about 4-5 pages long, typed on a word doc) about his milestones and how much of a challenge it has been parenting and now, homeschooling this child. It's one of the most honest and open letters I have ever written in my life!

If your gut tells you he is PG, tell them about it. Explain honestly why you think this. It might help!

All the very, very best Lukemac!

Hi, Lukemac. I didn't realize you had applied with the May group. I'm sorry to hear that your son wasn't accepted on the first try. It's my understanding that the reapplication will get swept up in the block of applications for that month, and the notification should come out at about the same time as the others for that month. Good luck, and keep us posted.

ETA: I see now that you applied a few months ago. Again, good luck!

T
    T
    Hi,

What would you suggst we put in a portfolio for a just turned five year old? How many pages for instance? Would you have her read on video, talk about science, add drawings, stories, and worksheets?

What level of work would be expected for this age (she turned five in May). Would second and third grade materials be appropriate?

thanks in advance

We put together a folder that contained a dozen or two pictures. We figured that they were small and if they didn't want to flip through them all, then didn't have to. Generally these were pictures we took at the time because we that was DS was doing was 'interesting' but we were pretty clueless on the fact that he was out there. So we had pictures from 3 years of age to 7 (the age DS was when we applied). By age 5 we suspected he was at least HG so we knew to take a picture every now and then. Otherwise no one would believe us :-)

I think we also include a few worksheets, but not too, too many. And I had already made a couple of home movies to share with my folks so I put them on a thumb drive and sent them in.

It was probably overkill, but that's what we did. I think anything that shows your DC working 'several grade levels above' a typical child would be fine. But take that with a grain of salt.

Good luck!

JB

T
    T
    thanks, JBDad

What sort of movies and pictures did you submit?

She is clearly years and years ahead but I don't know if she is highly or profoundly gifted at this point. We were hoping to get an IQ test with a recent evaluation, but they did achievement testing that isn't acceped by DYS even though the scores are qualifying. There is no urgency to apply, but I am curious.

How has DYS been useful for you?

Thanks

There were two movies, both pretty short. One day DS (then 5) was drawing a detailed anatomical picture in chalk on the driveway. It was based on a torso model he used. He went through a period of time when he was really into anatomy. REALLY into it. The other movie was a short one when he was doing his math thing doing addition/subtraction with different base numbers. We tried to pick moments where he was being himself.

The most helpful thing is the network of support, much like this group. It's not a magic bullet and sometimes I think people think it is. (To some degree I guess I used to think that too.) But there's still the hard work that we do with advocating at the school. (Tomorrow's our next IEP.) But it's validation that (a) you're not crazy--at least not about this--and (b) there are more people in this boat than you might realize. We are still relatively new to the system so we haven't yet used all of the resources offered either.

JB

Page 3 of 35 1 2 3 4 5 34 35

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM