Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 600 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Below is a link to an article from Laura's site.
    This is exactly what I worry about.
    Ania

http://kennebecjournal.mainetoday.com/news/local/2713327.shtml

M
    mayreeh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    We finally got the report from the psych. I have emailed the private tutor and hope to discuss the report with her privately before meeting with officials from the school.

Wish us luck!

Bottom line: she stuck to what she had told us when we were there. No ADD. Something funky going on with motor skills and processing in the left ear. Social withdrawal cause for concern. Otherwise, a perfect fit for an additional 2 grade skips next year.

Suggested re-evaluation in 18-24 months for another possible grade skip.

Mommy not a happy camper.... just can't get used to the idea of a 12 yo college student, but that is what the psych is predicting. As we are on the 3rd psych to predict that, it is starting to sound way too inevitable.

Mary

Mary
    Mary - please don't let the future scare you off from meeting your son's need today. You'll know if he isn't ready to "go away to school" at age 12, and come up with alternatives that suit your individual situation.

Here's another way to look at it - if at age 12, what your kid needs is college - then you'll know and you'll want it for him too. For now, just consentrate on who he is and what he needs in the present.

Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    H
    H
    "Mommy not a happy camper.... just can't get used to the idea of a 12 yo college student, but that is what the psych is predicting. As we are on the 3rd psych to predict that, it is starting to sound way too inevitable."

There are lots and lots of ways to handle this short of full time college enrollment at 12--but please be assured that if full time college enrollment at 12 is what is right for your child's circumstances, it can be done gracefully and happily for all involved. Try to stay flexible, figure out the options from year to year (or semester to semester) and remember nothing is inevitable or irrevocable.

BTDT

M
    mayreeh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks - I know you are right. I am starting to be okay with it - as long as they do make the accomodations on for motor skills, etc. However, DH is now unhappy.... He remembers looking up girls shirts in 5th grade and is not sure he wants his little boy hanging with a crowd like that.....

So complicated. So very very complicated.

Mary
    E
    emh Offline
    E
    I just found this topic and I have to say that I know how you feel about sending your 12 year old to college. I did it this year. After he begged for a year I finally started homeschooling him and allowed him to take 2 college classes at our community college. He just finished with A's in both classes. It was the best thing we ever did. He was so much happier this year. I don't know what we will do next fall but I'm pretty sure it will involve more CC courses with eventual full time enrollment. The college would allow it now but I don't feel comfortable with that yet. It really is very complicated but it can be worked out. It was funny one day when I was at a homeschool meeting where the teachers were going over options for students who were going on to High School and how the parents need to plan for the long term goal. Then she looked at me and said, "You need to take it day by day."

Eileen

M
    mayreeh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks - I needed that.

Mary
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM