Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 316 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 28 of 33 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 32 33
    H
    H
    Originally Posted by Irena
    Yes, I get the same notes for the same type of problems, i.e., "DS had trouble explaining in words how he arrived at 5 + 7 =12." (SECOND GRADE mind you!) I get annoyed because I feel like they are trying to say DS really does not understand "5+7" and that drives me bonkers!

Irena-- I think this is a PERFECT opportunity to use his slow processing speed to support why it is inappropriate to expect him to do this in any fluid, reliable way. Pemberley had posted a link to some articles on this recently and your post brought to mind this quote :

Richard Lavoie, in his Fat City video (Frustration, Anger and Tension), shows how students with processing speed issues are often still processing a question when the teacher expects an answer. Even if a student knows the answer, he may have slow word retrieval problems, so he is unable to participate in the same manner as his classmates. Lavoie explains that for a student who processes language slowly, note taking is a nightmare. It is not a matter of motivation; the student simply cannot respond as quickly as a classmate that does not have processing difficulties.

First and foremost, the student needs the gift of time. In all reading and math tasks, be they tests, quizzes or homework, the student needs more time to show his proficiency and less laborious assignments to prove his knowledge.

A kid with a lower than average processing speed score would often find it impossible to retrieve and express this additional information for his math calculations no matter what he knows. ... If we ever return to traditional school I plan to bring this point up. smile

Last edited by HappilyMom; 10/10/13 10:02 AM. Reason: weird formatting
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    They really need to rephrase their prompts; so, that they aren't requiring children to lie to satisfy the requirements of the question:
    "How did you arrive at that answer?" --> requires lie
    "Show your work" --> requires lie
    "Explain how you got this answer" --> requires lie
    "Using the rhetorical methodologies repeated day in and day out in class, describe a method to arrive at the same answer you have using buzzwords from page 23-27 of the textbook" --> ding ding

Dear Teacher, if you are going to only teach my child one thing, please don't make it "how to lie."

"Which graphical display would you choose?"

Requires a lie if the student's perceptions here don't match the answer choices given.

wink

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    A
    Options:

A) Just being the snarky lady that I am, I would teach my son some basic neuroscience and have him draw a detailed diagram of synapses with an accompanying brain-based explanation. If the teachers are giving pap, the least they can do is accept a reasonable scientific explanation for the process of solving the questions.

B) Either that or craft a stream of consciousness story about the voices in my head competing for my attention with their respective answers. There would be creepy biblical references laced throughout.

C) Or write a long, detailed explanation in pig latin. Or Heiroglyphics.

D) Wildly inappropriate picture counters--drug paraphernalia, typically concealed body parts, adult "playthings".

Of course, this might not be a good way to get administrators on side, but it amused me to think about.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    {claps hands}

OOo-- I choose E) all of the above! laugh

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    {claps hands}

OOo-- I choose E) all of the above! laugh

If you can't join 'em, beat 'em!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    N
    N
    "I drew a magazine with seven bullets and then put five more into it. I have twelve bullets, but I still have room for three more rounds plus one in the chamber."

Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Ha ha. Not.

You do realize that this is the sort of thing that gets children and adults arrested and put on all sorts of terrorism watch lists? And that the guvmint can ask tell the folks running this site to give them your personal information, as in, NOW?

Sorry, not even remotely funny given school and other assorted shootings.

Signed,

Someone whose kid's school was in lockdown due to a mass murderer on the loose in the immediate neighborhood (3 dead bodies and 7 wounded; he was killed a couple blocks away). Another lockdown occurred because some idiot made precisely the same threats you just joked about at a teacher in the preschool.

!!

M
    M
    Val one wonders how much the panic over "Showing your work" for the most basic concepts (5+7=12) is not just because many teachers don't really get it, but because those teachers that don't get it are getting the message from above (thanks to Liping Ma, etc) that they must teach / provide profound understanding and they've got not freaking idea how to assess if the child HAS a profound understanding...

Sigh.

M
    M
    ironically enough I have concluded that what my 7yr old really needs is memorisation practice, but that is so not cool here... She GETS the meaning of 7+5=12 but for goodness sake I just need her to memories it so she can move on with the higher math that she ALSO understands perfectly well but can't execute accurately without reliable math facts... But no, they are all bogged down in proving their profound understanding of the concept....

Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    Val one wonders how much the panic over "Showing your work" for the most basic concepts (5+7=12) is not just because many teachers don't really get it, but because those teachers that don't get it are getting the message from above (thanks to Liping Ma, etc) that they must teach / provide profound understanding and they've got not freaking idea how to assess if the child HAS a profound understanding...

Sigh.

True. One must understand something before one can teach it.

It's interesting...I used to teach at a local skating rink on Saturdays. They let me teach up to a certain level based on the fact that I was roughly 4 levels (out of 18 total) above the highest level I taught. I could show people how to do the stuff in those other 4 levels, but wasn't really good at those skills yet, and I also didn't yet understand how skill x would be needed later on. They only wanted me to teach the levels where I had that knowledge. This seemed perfectly reasonable to me. It would be unthinkable to ask me to teach a certain jump if I wasn't really, really good not only at it, but at the subsequent jumps that build on the skills you gain in that jump. I mean, this is obvious, right?

I'm amazed that schools don't take this same approach. As in, you don't ask someone to teach fractions unless s/he is really skilled at manipulating them in Algebra 2.

Last edited by Val; 10/10/13 05:09 PM. Reason: Clarity
    Page 28 of 33 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 32 33

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM