Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Well, too much RE on my part. I am off to channel my inner spock.

Have a good day, all.

smile

Neato

W
    W
    Interjection: Bianca mentioned that Davidson aid is available. I know how difficult it can be and truly sympathize with incog's efforts, but I know many people have started charter schools here.

I do not know what the process is, but could Davidson help you, incog, in starting a program? I say this, because maybe there is a track here that someone else has started and worked with Davidson in starting gifted programs?

Ren

Not to speak for 'Neato, but since I know she's not here, I'll give a place-filler answer...

'Neato's kids just missed the DYS cut-off when they were tested, and she hasn't retested them. If she wanted to start a charter school--and I don't think she does--I'm not sure DYS would be in a position to help her right now.

'Neato has worked her tail off to get her DDs' school to give her kids what they need. It was a really, really challenging and frustrating year for her. That's why this thread was so hard on her, I think. Nothing was easy. Everything she got accomplished required lots of hard work. And it may still not be enough for her DDs. She's feeling pretty beaten up, I think. I really feel for her!

Even so, with all the trouble she had this year and all the pushing she had to do, I'm pretty sure that trying to start a charter school is not in her future. It's just not where she's likely to direct her efforts. Getting an education for her own kids has been hard enough!

Feel free to correct me if I'm misspeaking, 'Neato. I don't mean to speak out of turn. I just didn't want this to become the "How 'Neato can start a charter school" thread. I know you don't need that! You're doing enough as it is without that pressure!

Kriston
    K
    K
    I can feel Neato's pain. I think we are in a similar kind of school situation but about half way through the year I threw up my hands, gave up, and thought we're homeschooling next year (which is still a bit up in the air). I have the utmost respect for those who have the resources, drive, and energy to start a charter or make wide a sweeping changes in a school or a district. But as a parent, at least for me, my first consideration is getting a reasonable fit for your child ASAP in whatever form I can get it.

Anyway - I was also going to throw in since I was late to this discussion, I definitely have no issues DOK either. I do like to hear what's working and what's good out there. That kind of info can only help me. I can relate to frustration as well though.

It is an awfully big commitment to start a school!

Kriston
    W
    W
    Totally agree, it is a big commitment. I thought about it for 15 minutes. But there may be, like this woman I am in contact with in Queens, who may choose that route. Not that Neato should. It was a blind suggestion, should anyone consider it.

And if Davidson provides resources and help. Since Bianca brought up their willingness to help finance tuition, just wondering.

But since I do not live in a less populated area, this is not an issue for me. And I apologize for any implication this was a simple solution. I know it is not.

And I totally understand the burn-out. Why I am flailing about with the AGATE and the panel. Trying to lay groundwork and connections now.

Ren

Thanks for the suggestion Ren!

Thanks for the explanation Kriston, spot on.

Thanks for the understanding Kim and all.

For the record, I would not attempt to start a charter school. I don't think I have what it takes to pull it off at the same time getting my girls what they need right now.

I will HS if it comes down to it.

smile

C
    C
    All of your points are well taken. I just want to clarify my last rant, and then I'll lay off Mirman. But I have serious issues with the place and I don't want anyone feeling bad about not having a place like it around. First of all, it is expensive and elitist (take a look at their auction fund raiser to get a sense for what the parents have to give). It is true that they give financial aid, but like almost all private schools in LA, the admissions policies will vary depending on whether you can pony up the dough or not. This two-tiered admissions system disgusts me. Secondly, I know a few kids that go there whose parents are uberrich and I can tell you they are not HG or PG or any G. Mirman is a feeder school for Harvard Westlake (another tony LA school) and the prestige is what counts here (well, for some people anyway). I also know of more than one case of PG kids not getting into Mirman. This astounds me. I'm talking about super bright DYS kids who I would think could get in anywhere. No school for the gifted should reject a child for any reason, particularly economic ones. Because LA's public school system is such a mess, it's a mad scramble for kids to get into these private schools. So yes, DOK away, but I'm more concerned about that DYS kid that Mirman rejected and is now bored to tears in a public school with no gifted funding whatsoever. OK, I'll stop being a pain now.

Originally Posted by calizephyr
    No school for the gifted should reject a child for any reason, particularly economic ones.

Well, ideally, you'd be right. But the fact is, private schools are a business. They are. And unless the school has unlimited scholarship funds, then rejecting people--highly qualified people!--who can't pony up is going to happen. I don't think that's necessarily reason to dismiss all discussion of the school and its programs.

I hear you on the admissions policy, and I'm certainly not going to defend classism (!), but I really think that's pretty much the nature of the private school business. I think we can still love the programs, even if we hate the business part that accompanies it.

Kriston
    Dear Calizephyr

I think I understand your concerns about the school, and far be it for me to disagree. I do not pretend to know much about the school. Our DS5 will be starting there in September, We saw nothing like what you said. (Please excuse my gammer and spelling, the apple fell a long way from this tree.) I don't fully know all that goes into the admission of students into a private school. I do know they have very limitted slots avaiable, and more then 4 times the qualified (IQ Scores) applicants to choose from. I can assure you we were not chossen because of our income (I only wish that was the case.) I felt, and it is only an my opinon that they look for a good fit. Last year we applyed when our DS5 was 4. We where not accepted, this year it seems to be a better fit. My DW and I had a hard time making the choice to go with this school. It's a long drive 45min to 1 hour each way. It will be financially difficult, and it will create issues at home. My DW is taking a part time job near the scool at a public shool as an assistant teacher just to be nearby, and to keep it to one trip there and back. It may also help cover the gas. Our DS15 will need to adjust also. I digress. The schools seems to be a great fit for us. I do not think it fits all, and I am very sorry to hear that many very well qualified children cannot attend. I find it terrible that m ost public schools do not have programs that create a peer group for the HG+ crowd. We looked into many schools public, private, homeschool, it's a very difficult choice. I have spoken with our school superentent, board members, gate coordinators, even our state assemblyman. It's a big issue. Everyone wants the best for there children. BTW we are not DYS, don't know if our DS5 qualifies. I fully understand Biancas joy at finding a fit for her DD, I hope our experance is the same for our DS5. All each of us can do is our best. I hope I am not comming across challanging, I am new to the board, new to the school, and am looking forward to participating in discussions in the future. For us its been a brand new world. I cannot reply to any posts untill Monday, I am off camping with the boy scouts.

Last edited by Edwin; 05/30/08 03:10 PM.
    Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM