Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    OP Offline
    acs, those are my sentiments also.

Everyone remember -- a joy shared is a joy multiplied and enlarged, a sorrow shared is a sorrow made divided and made smaller.

I've enjoyed reading about all the different educational ideas here.

I am sorry. I obviously have no experience dealing with school boards. I don't mean to belittle everything all you are doing for your children. I am just clueless as to your struggles. Mine come in the way of a difficult XH. I am getting pretty competent there smile

As for my statements being "not well thought out" you are right. I tend to speak/write without giving it a lot of thought. Always been one of my biggest faults frown

And I do think the children on this board are very lucky in that they have caring parents that are doing all they can to meet their extraordinary needs.

I don't have issue with her bragging about her great school, I think I made that pretty clear.

And I'm not bagging on her either.

But here is the quote again:

However, what makes this school truly extraordinary is the fact that HG children learn side by side. This is something any school could easily implement

The idea that any school could easily implement this may have some truth. The problem is dealing with all the administrative levels of policy. It is NOT easy to get established schools to do this. I wouldn't think it would be an EASY undertaking to create this school from scratch.

So my issue is not with Bianca's great school or her happiness with it, as mentioned, I think it's great.
    My issue is with the assertion that it is easy to create this situation. Or that somehow if one was willing to drive a certain distance or sacrifice financially he/she too could provide this for their child.
    My opinion is that sadly, it just isn't so.

It's unfortunate if both sides of this coin could not be supported here.

Thank you for comments Bianca, it truly means a lot to me. I am truly sorry if I sounded harsh to you. Perhaps the fact that I have worked so hard for so little is just sour grapes on my part. I am so happy for you and your daughter, I've posted that before, your situation is something to celebrate!

I'm not sure I feel our sorrows divide us. It's good to discuss what is NOT working for these kids. It's part of the problem solving process just as much as cheering and modeling what is working, IMHO.

acs Offline
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    It's unfortunate if both sides of this coin could not be supported here.

A whole page of discussion came in in the time I composed my last message.

If I had seen this I would say, that this is also a great place to share our frustrations as well as our joys!

To keep this board safe, I think we do a lot of self-policing, making sure that people keep their posts kind, even when we disagree. This is often done very gently. When people feel really frustrated, angry, or threatened, they tend to be less gentle. Obviously, this thread has hit a nerve! frown

Thanks, my post sounded logical to me, I didn't realize it came across as unkind.
    Again, sorry.

OP Offline
    I'm not sure I feel our sorrows divide us. It's good to discuss what is NOT working for these kids. It's part of the problem solving process just as much as cheering and modeling what is working, IMHO.

incogneato, it's not that sorrows divide us; it's when a sorrow is shared that we feel it is made smaller because we don't carry the load all by ourselves.

I see(smoothing down unduly ruffled feathers).

I read it too fast.

Thank you.

acs Offline
    Thanks, my post sounded logical to me, I didn't realize it came across as unkind.
    Again, sorry.

Oh, Neato, you can relax. I was actually commenting on a general trend within the thread. I can't imagine that you were the only one who felt a little "ruffled." As a counselor, I am trained to "comment on the process." LOL!

Originally Posted by acs
    One of the things that I find most frustrating about raising kids (GT and non GT)is that feeling that no matter what decision you make, there are always comprimises, and no matter what you do another parent is likely to judge you. For example, natural childbirth? breastfeeding? co-sleeping? day care? and on and on.

This same pattern gets worse when you child has special needs of any kind. It gets to the point where most of us keep our mouths shut and don't share our highs and lows because we don't want to face the social consequences in our local communities.

I like this board because it seems like about the safest place around to share. When I have something to brag about I know I can come here. I do think "bragging" is OK here. And, I don't see anything wrong with being happy for someone who has found a school in which their children thrive (even if it isn't a school that we can or want to send our own child to)!

I wanted to come back to this, because it got lost in the shuffle, I think.

I agree wholeheartedly that parenting is hard enough without feeling like other people are judging your choices. I think it comes out of insecurity--if your way is good, then mine must not be--and that's a shame. Human, but a shame.

Complaining is usually socially acceptable, even about advanced behaviors, at least in my "everyone is GT" area. (i.e. "Oh, little Johnny is already walking, and it's just SO exhausting for me.") That's usually how people announced what their kids were doing in our playgroup, actually. They griped about how early their kids were doing things and what a pain it was. It's sort of backwards bragging, so that you are able to talk about what your child is doing, but without seeming like you're bragging.

Personally, I like hearing real bragging or real complaining better. Either one is more honest, and I like honest.

I love to hear the good here, and I'm happy to help as much as I can with the bad. I think that's what this forum is all about. laugh

Kriston
    Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM