Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Yes, I was just joking with bianca. I love hearing about her daughter's school.

In fact, I don't understand why you think it's "not so great" for GT kids, calizephyr. There's more to a GT education than acceleration, and it sounds like bianca's kid's needs are being well-met.

I do understand what you're saying about the class issue. I certainly don't love that the school is an expensive private school and all the class issues that surround a school like that are troubling. But that's why we DOK: if only our kids could get such services at public schools.

It is good to hear about what's out there, though. Knowing what exists helps us to understand what's possible.

Kriston
    First of all, since I've been on this board I haven't experienced Bianca to be bragging about her good fortune in school placement in a malicious way. On the contrary, it's good to know there are schools in current operation that can accomodate HG+ kids.

Additionally, I don't think calizepher is at all in danger of being banned from this site for expressing frustration at the inequity of these very rare programs.
    After all, that's what this site is for.

Getting together and expressing support for both situations.

I do want to hear about schools like Bianca's because it gives me ideas about what could work. On the other hand, yes, it can be incredibly frustrating to be sitting here knowing my child could benefit from such a situation, yet never have access to it.

We are in a school district like Kim's and Dazey's. The curriculum is written by the internal administrators and it's great! It probably is a year ahead like they say. And they have very thought out and established gifted programs. Unfortunately, in the K-3 years, it's not even close to being challenging enough for HG kids. I really don't know yet if the higher grades will be, we'll have to see. There's no flexibility for grade skippping and alternative approaches because they sincerely believe they have all the bases covered.

Yes, you can advocate for changes and I have here and have been relatively successful. But in a district that has really established and succesful gifted programming, it's really difficult and has been somewhat draining. And it comes at a personal cost as there are parents who think you are a real a$$.

Peace,
    Neato

Hello Calizapher,

I am sorry my post bothered you. I wished schools like the one my dd attends would be available for every child, gifted or not. It is a great school, and yes it is an expensive school. Had my dd been a ND child I wouln't have even considered a private school. However, a good percentage of the families there receive some financial aid. The Davidson institute also provides financial help for tuition for schools like this one.

It is true that some of the families there are very wealthy, but not all. For a good portion of us it is a sacrifice of both time and money.

We also have the long drive. We have to drive close to an hour each way every day to get there (by the way, about 80% of the children attending this school have a long commute).

I been kidding Dottie that she could start a school like this where she is. This school started with nine students in the school's founders home. One of the reasons I like to post the great things my dd's school offers is that I think perhaps someone can start something great like this somewhere else.

The incredible resources are great, the great teachers a big bonus. However, what makes this school truly extraordinary is the fact that HG children learn side by side. This is something any school could easily implement.

Anyway, i promised to be quiet for the rest of the school year, so I am zipping my lips.

I don't think anyone really expected you to keep that promise, Bianca. LOL!

As far as I'm concerned, talk on! Just let me grab a bib so I don't get my shirt all wet with drool...

grin

Kriston
    One of the reasons I like to post the great things my dd's school offers is that I think perhaps someone can start something great like this somewhere else.

Please, this is a somewhat crass oversimplification. I think you're great Bianca, I love your posts. Could you see how this could be insulting to some here, though?

It is true that some of the families there are very wealthy, but not all. For a good portion of us it is a sacrifice of both time and money.

Point taken. Please know that your child's exceptional school is still out of reach for some very deserving children. And we all make sacrifices for our children.

However, what makes this school truly extraordinary is the fact that HG children learn side by side. This is something any school could easily implement

Now this is somewhat magical thinking and I don't think it's a very well thought out statement. This is insulting as it implies that all of us that do not have access to your situation could easily create such a wonderful environment for our children, we just must not be capable enough.
    I'm personally offended as I've worked particularly hard to advocate for HG kids at school. It's not as easy as you might think.

Peace,
    Neato

I think the big problem is finding the HG+ kids to work side-by-side with. They're not all that common, and if there's only one in a whole school on average, then working side-by-side isn't possible for most schools.

Kriston
    Thanks Kriston,

I can actually keep my promise for at least today. My dd and I are playing hookie at school and attending the National Geographic Bioblitz, so we are off to count, observe and record sea birds and mammals for the rest of the day! whistle

I'm sorry. the word "easy" just seemed to jump off the screen and punch me in the nose.

smile

What I read was "easy for the school" to implement - I'm thinking there are a lot of things that would help HG kids that would be easy for the school to implement, but getting the school on board is the difficult part.

(have fun today Bianc - I wish there were one of those events near my state. maybe next year)

acs Offline
    One of the things that I find most frustrating about raising kids (GT and non GT)is that feeling that no matter what decision you make, there are always comprimises, and no matter what you do another parent is likely to judge you. For example, natural childbirth? breastfeeding? co-sleeping? day care? and on and on.

This same pattern gets worse when you child has special needs of any kind. It gets to the point where most of us keep our mouths shut and don't share our highs and lows because we don't want to face the social consequences in our local communities.

I like this board because it seems like about the safest place around to share. When I have something to brag about I know I can come here. I do think "bragging" is OK here. And, I don't see anything wrong with being happy for someone who has found a school in which their children thrive (even if it isn't a school that we can or want to send our own child to)!

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM