Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Personally, I'm not convinced about the need for pre-algebra with gifted kids. My son is taking pre-algebra and I've looked through his textbook. It adheres to California standards and so is a fair description of pre-algebra in this entire populous state.

Bingo.

I think it's a bad idea, too.

It led my DD to completely TUNE OUT of most Algebra 1.

Seriously-- she engaged in such procrastination in BOTH courses that she literally completed a full year in what amounted to about 2 weeks of more-or-less intensive (read, 3-4 hr daily) study, and earned 90-100% on everything.

I wouldn't say that her pre-algebra foundation had been all that strong going into 6th grade math, truthfully. She stopped doing Singapore in roughly 3rd grade, and had done Calvert for most of 3rd/4th, then Prentice Hall courses 1 and 2. Well, part of each. It was an odd year.

The only material that she was weak on in that body was manipulating fractions, which she knew conceptually, but had trouble with in terms of accuracy because she wasn't writing things down.

She seriously coasted until Algebra II, which then proceeded to ROUNDLY kick her butt because she hadn't developed any real resilience or study skills.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    N
    N
    I don't even know what pre-algebra is, actually. I never had anything called that. It's possible that 7th grade math might have encompassed what they call pre-algebra now, or, come to think of it, it may have been an 8th grade class in junior high but I went to a church school in 8th grade and missed it. I know we started with algebra in 9th grade.

I guess it didn't hurt me any.

I don't think they have a class called pre-algebra in DS's middle school or high school, either. A rose by any other name....

P
    P
    I suspect Pre-Algebra is a name and that actual curriculum varies from state to state and school district to school district. As Val mentioned, back when I was in school the "Pre-Algebra" class was specifically for the students who (in 9th grade) weren't ready to take Algebra. In my kids' school, Pre-Algebra was a good prep for Algebra I, and really didn't contain any rehash of things already covered. The repetition in our school seems to occur more with the 5th/6th/7th grade math - - and I think this is true for much of our school district, which is why it's easy for gifted kids to skip 6th/7th grade math (which is typically what is done) and move on into pre-Algebra right after the 5th grade math course.

polarbear

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by master of none
    I don't know. Our GT program takes the kids through pre-algebra in 6th, and then algebra 1 in 7th. It's a generous GT program, but that didn't keep me from being shocked when the majority failed their first test on "slope". They did that to death in pre-algebra, then learned it again in Algebra and failed the test! So, I'd have to say for the upper half - which is our GT level--Prealgebra might be necessary.

I'm not sure I understood correctly --- do you mean that the upper 50% of the class is considered to be GT?

If so, they've bundled a lot of average students into their GT group and it's not really surprising (to me at least) that a lot of them are struggling. Students with solidly average ability shouldn't be taking algebra until much later than 7th grade.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    That's a good point. I am trying to mostly stay out of it and let the school do their job so I haven't actually looked at the problems or check any of his assessments before or after the fact. According to DS, the pretest questions are similar to the questions on the end of chapter practice test and real test.

That's why I love this forum - it helps me clarify what I am thinking! I suppose my goal is to ensure that DS is always at the 99 percentile at the end of each course for that course.

Last edited by Quantum2003; 10/03/13 12:15 PM.
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Wow - 70% seems rather low to me!

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Actually, DS already aced the Pre-algebra course and a national Algebra readiness assessment last year. This year he is enrolled in an online Algebra course arranged by the District office, who also provides a live instructor one day a week.

DS decided to implement a single skip to Pre-algebra last year rather than a double skip to Algebra. He wanted to make sure that he had a super strong foundation. So you may have an excellent point regarding the overlap. It makes sense that he is able to score mid-80's to mid-90's on the Algebra chapter pretests by extending what he learned last year in Pre-algebra.

However, I don't regret having DS take Pre-algebra last year because he is not as strong in Geometry and about 40% of his Pre-algebra course covered geometry and trigonometry topics. Of course, the trignometry topics were cursory and focused on sine, cosine, tangent, secant, cosecant, cotangent and basic real world applications.

P
    P
    It is a pretest. Presumably it is a lot harder after doing the study.

Originally Posted by puffin
    It is a pretest. Presumably it is a lot harder after doing the study.

grin

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    Okay, this is actually related to my algebra/pacing thread from earlier this week, but is really a discrete issue/question by itself as well.

What is the appropriate or normal or common or ideal percentage that you would want a student to score on a unit pretest for math in general and algebra in particular?
    According to the Diagnostic Testing / Prescriptive Instruction model (DT-PI) discussed in the book "Developing Math Talent" and summarized at http://www.win.tue.nl/~wstomv/quotes/developing-math-talent.html , a student should take tests at progessively more difficult levels until he or she scores below the 85th percentile.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM