Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    N
    N
    This is all so mind-boggling. How could it possibly be "not fair" to the other kids? If the goal is to read 100 books, and he's picking bigger and harder books to read, it will (may) take him longer to read the 100 books than it does the other kids, who are reading the smaller books. He's giving them an advantage -- and it's not a competition with others, anyway, it's a competition with oneself!

I would be in the principal's office so much on this, they'd have to give me my own name plate. Does the principal condone taking books away from children? Does the superintendent? Does the school board? And does the newspaper know about it, if they do? The taxpayers whose hard-earned money goes to the schools might be interested to know that the people they elected, and the people those people hired, are spending their time trying to hold back the children's educations.

And as for keeping children from knowing there are bigger and better books out there -- oh lord almighty! Isn't that the whole incentive for learning to read in the first place? If I had thought, as a child, that first-grade (or worse) books were all there was in the world, I wouldn't have even bothered!

P
    P
    Irena, is your ds in 1st or 2nd grade? I'm sorry I can't remember which! The reason I ask is, it just occurred to me this morning - you have a teacher who appears to be very rigid about this... I'm just wondering (and speculating) that there's a good chance you aren't the first parent who's perhaps complained about this, and that may be part of the reason she's reacting the way she is. The reason I asked about the grade is that there would have been several children in my kids' 1st grade classes who were reading Magic Tree House level books at the start of the year - and some children reading books ahead of that level. For sure by 2nd grade there would have been quite a few (if not a lot) of kids in class reading at that level. I looked online and realize they are technically rated for grades 3-7, but they were mostly popular at our schools in early early elementary. I can't imagine even my reading challenged 4th grader still being interested in them at 9 years old - most of the students in her 3rd grade classroom last year had moved on beyond that level. My kids weren't in a gifted school or gifted classrooms in early elementary.

So maybe I'm off base, but I'm just wondering if maybe that's not part of it - other parents have perhaps complained too?

Seriously, I would be so beyond annoyed about this! Especially the concern about "obedience" - yikes!

polarbear

ps - from everything you've written it sounds like this is all about a teacher digging in her heels and wanting it her way - but if she does happen to question whether or not your ds is actually comprehending at this level, request her to test his reading level! Or at the very least pull out his reading level report from the end of last year. If the teacher doesn't want to, I'd take it to the principal.

Last edited by polarbear; 10/03/13 10:22 AM.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    That teacher got me thinking about whether schools are supposed to train obedience, which led me to this long PDF by Seth Godin called Stop Stealing Dreams.
    http://www.sethgodin.com/sg/docs/stopstealingdreamsscreen.pdf

In particular this bit:
    Column A
    Aware
    Caring
    Committed
    Creative
    Goal-setting
    Honest
    Improvising
    Incisive
    Independent
    Informed
    Initiating
    Innovating
    Insightful
    Leading
    Strategic
    Supportive

or
    Column B
    Obedient

Which column do you pick? Whom do you want to work for or work next to? Whom do you want to hire? Which doctor do you want to treat you? Whom do you want to live with?

Last question: If you were organizing a trillion-dollar, sixteen-year indoctrination program to turn out the next generation of our society, which column would you build it around?

Great food for thought.

I
    I
    ... it is often successful/wise to take a non-confrontational approach that permits them ... to come to the correct conclusions THEMSELVES. In colloquial terminology this could be termed the "two hands and a flashlight" model of communication.
    I think that I may be confused about this. Can you help me?
    What is the learning objective for this activity? I'm not sure that I understand that, and I'd like to be able to support it from our end, as well.
    Oh-- that's lovely! What a great thing!
    Hmm-- yes, I can see how that is a great goal! Uh oh, though-- what if my child isn't finding {plan} engaging enough to be compliant?? I agree that this is a big problem in a classroom. I'm not sure that I'm understanding why my child is being punished-- how will that accomplish {objective} here?
    What do you suggest we can try so that this activity isn't feeling like punishment?
    If teacher comes up empty, you can ask "Can we try -----?" questions to feed solutions in.
    Great guide for conversation with a teacher/school.

B
    B
    That teacher got me thinking about whether schools are supposed to train obedience

Do you think children should obey their parents? I think they should, within limits.

How can one adult keep order in a classroom of twenty children unless they are "compliant" or "obedient"?

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    That teacher got me thinking about whether schools are supposed to train obedience

Do you think children should obey their parents? I think they should, within limits.

How can one adult keep order in a classroom of twenty children unless they are "compliant" or "obedient"?

This is an interesting question. I would suggest that keeping order is infinitely more likely when young minds are fully engaged in what they are doing. Which is less likely when they are forced into repeating material that they have mastered.

We tend to think about the traditional desk-in-rows, teacher in front mode. Your question made me think about my DS' Montessori primary (ages 3-6) teacher. She had 21 children, almost always individually working or in small groups. She also had a very peaceful classroom. She was exceptionally good at noting when a child was about to run amok and at then redirecting them and/or giving them a reminder about expected behavior. This classroom also had four or five very smart, advanced boys in it. And yet, without dumbing them down or forcing obedience, there was order.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Polarbear - he's in 2nd. Oddly I think he is one of the most advanced kids in the class - no one else from his class gets the math differientation and he said he is only of the only kids on level RR for reading. He said it's surprising how many of the kids aren't such good readers and according to him no one seems all that good math either. It's a bit odd because last year he had more 'peers' and a few kids above him and he liked that. He sussed out another guy sneaking Bionicle books during reading and they have become friends but, so far, it doesnt seem other-Bionicle-book-guy has gotten caught yet.

Anyway, the problem is not that the books are magic treehouse, nor is it the level. It's not their appropriateness either. The problem is they are 'magic treehouse books that have not been donated and made a part of the class basket.' [DS at home is reading on a 5th grade level (white and black level 100 book challenge books) but of course he can not read above his assessed level at school, which is RR.] It's about 'he is told to pick 100 book challenge book from the class red basket and those are the only books he is permitted to read. He needs to "follow directions" and read the books from the basket he is told to read from. I'm not sure any one else complains about anything at this school, everyone simply raves on and on about it and the teachers (it's like no says anything bad here or shows anger - it's a bit like "stepford parents" LOL but maybe I just have to do more digging.). Also my kid simply is not at all that compliant by nature, maybe other kids are just more compliant on such issues. Most people rave about the teachers. I was told this one was "strict but fabulous!" so I was nervous she'd be overly rigid (looks like I may be right)... I noticed many of DS's friends of Asian and Indian descent (1st generation kiddos) are very far ahead in math mostly but also in reading... From what i have observed the kids do outside tutoring amd things like Kumon and whatever else there is. However they do not seem to cause any trouble at school (not that I have seen yet) . Like, my DS's friend last year - he was 1st generation Indian and above DS in math (and would teach DS the higher level stuff when they had free time) and reading but when I asked DS doesn't "friend" get annoyed or bored or complained since he is even higher, DS said, "No he just does what he is told to do and doesn't disobey or complain. I guess it doesn't bother him as much." I am not sure what to think. I do remember one mom/neighbor last year saying about her daughter "I hope she finally starts learning something." but then didn't say anymore and went back to fake, super bubbly demeanor.

Anyway, allegedly DS is now allowed to read the Magic Treehouse Ice Wizard book. I am wondering how my donations will work, though - I am a little concenred that the books will be circulated out other classes.... not that I mind that but I do want DS to have access to at least one or two of them.

Last edited by Irena; 10/03/13 11:01 AM.
    My DS's class has boxes of reading books at every level of the students in the class. If they want to try a higher level book they use the strategies they are taught about how to determine if a book is too hard for them. And there doesn't seem to be any competitiveness, this is just where the kids are. Irena's DS teacher seems determined not just to manage behavior with this approach but to avoid any kind of differentiation.

Given the cost of Montessori (hardly within the reach of a non high SES population) I think that you are dealing with a group that has already been taught the value of delayed gratification and self control at home.

Not your standard group of kids that age at all.

Last edited by madeinuk; 10/03/13 11:03 AM.

Become what you are
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    To be clear - DS is not running amok in the classroom. He gets "in trouble" for wanting to do higher level work - read higher level books (or books at least interesting to him) and he wants to be able to move on in math... He is not running around wild, disobedient... he's just trying to keep learning and keep his mind engaged!

Last edited by Irena; 10/03/13 11:05 AM.
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM