Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    S
    squirt Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Here's the link to the story:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...s/052908dnmetvaledictorian.3b254412.html

I would be interested to hear your comments.

(I didn't even know you could have a 5.xxx GPA. When I went to high school it was 99.xxx. Shows my age!)

Outrageous. As the highest ranking graduate, she should receive the scholarship.

K
    K
    I totally agree - she should be valedictorian and she should definitely get the scholarship. Ridiculous. Although, I've always thought the title Valedictorian was a bit meaningless from my own experience. I graduated in the top 10 at my high school. A number of those kids in the top ten were taking shop, cooking, and a full load of study halls as opposed to AP classes.

But I don't Understand how you can have a GPA of 5.8+? Is she getting A+++'s? No GPA calculator I found online could possibly arrive at this number either. Anyone?

I don't know how they calculated that either. Maybe some classes are worth more points than others? We moved the summer before my junior year and I graduated with honors from my new high school. I didn't have the highest GPA, but I felt a little ripped off because it was clear to me that a B+ at my GT high school in History should have been worth at least an A at the new public high school...

K
    K
    Oh - ok. I just found an answer to my own question on yahoo answers.

The school I graduated from had a 3 tier system.

AP class is worth 6.0 for an A
    Honers class is worth 5.0 for an A
    Regular class is worth 4.0 for an A

I think that maybe it even went further down for people in remedial classes. It just basically "rewarded" students with recognition for the extra work in my opinion. It helps breakup ties for top position. Identical twins graduated in top and second positions. =) It is a good tie-breaker I think.

I like this a lot. my GPA would have been sky high with this system!

S
    squirt Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    We didn't have AP or Honors classes in my high school. Just regular classes.

What would you do if you were this girl's parents? The title itself isn't meaningful, but that scholarship would sure be worth something. Would it be worth suing over? I'm just asking because I wonder if any of our kids will be in that situation. Of course, for me, that's a ways down the line.

K
    K
    With a perfect ACT score, I would be surprised if this young woman didn't have scholarships/college offers coming out of her ears.

Don't you think this is more over the title than the scholarship? It sounds like she really wanted to be the valedictorian and is disappointed that she won't be given that title after she has worked so hard. Those of you who were valedictorian's, did it mean a lot to you to be given that title?

I have to admit that I am astounded that they are sticking to the letter of the law with the 4 year ruling. It makes no sense whatsoever. But I bet kim is right and she will have all kinds of scholarship offers.

OT : kcab - why are you in a state of panic? If I missed the answer somewhere else, sorry! smile

Last edited by EandCmom; 05/29/08 02:55 PM.
    I agree, EandCMom. It sounds like it's the title that's bothering her. Or maybe not getting to speak at graduation. I was 1st in my graduating class and was on the fast track to become valedictorian...until a guy moved to the district during sophomore year. He got an A in Adv. Math and I got a B, so he was 1st in the class and I was second. I was devistated...until I found out that salutatorian got to speak at graduation, too. Then it was fine with me. smile

Not to swim upstream here, but I have to admit that I see the school's point: if that's the way the policy is written, and it was written that way all along, then it's really too bad for the girl. Do I think it's a good policy? NO! And hopefully it will be re-written after this. But if that's what it says, then that's the way it is.

On the bright side, I really can't imagine it will matter to the girl. If she includes a copy of this article or adds this quote to her resume:

Grapevine High School senior Anjali Datta holds the highest grade-point average of the 471 students graduating from Grapevine High School this year. In fact, Grapevine-Colleyville ISD officials believe her GPA of 5.898 may be the highest in the high school's history.

then not being valedictorian won't matter one whit for her.

Kriston
    They are penalizing her for being smart! It stinks, bigtime.

Lorel

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM