Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    acs Offline
    I was valedictorian of my class. That was the year they changed the policy so that the valedictorian did NOT speak at graduation. There was a class speaker voted on by the class only. I still have no idea why they made that rule and I have always wondered if I should have taken it personally. I'm thinking I probably don't want to know.....

LOL acs!!!! I'm sure it had nothing to do with you!!! smile

Now if they changed the policy back the next year.......wink

acs Offline
    Originally Posted by EandCmom
    LOL acs!!!! I'm sure it had nothing to do with you!!! smile

Now if they changed the policy back the next year.......wink

You know, I didn't go to graduation the next year and I never tried to find out who the speakers were. I just didn't want to know! I can tell you that in my two years on the debate team I never won a single debate and had a tendency to burst into uncontrollable giggles. Perhaps the teachers were just trying to spare everyone from the embarrassment of having to watch me collapse on stage in hysterics.

Last edited by acs; 05/29/08 04:03 PM.
    C
    C
    My daughter's high school still ranks students (she is no. 1 of junior class of about 400). But they don't call the no. 1 valedictorian any more. In addition, the valedictorian does not speak at graduation. Instead, anyone can apply to speak. Apparently, a student suicide which may or may not have any thing to do with ranking freaked the school district out.

DD complained once or twice because she worked really hard to get to this point. But it does not seem to bother her that much. I think she is so ready to leave HS behind.

To us, whether she is called valedictorian makes absolute no difference. But some scholarships are only given to valedictorian. For example, a student can get a full ride from Dominican U of California if he has an official title of "valedictorian". In that case, the school district is doing a dis-service to its students.

Well, if you makes you feel any better, it does seem like an awful lot of pressure.
    The valedictorian at our high school was just asked to return his medal because he was caught plagarizing his speech.

Yikes! Man, just write a crappy "As we move forward into the future" speech, for goodness sake! Don't plagiarize something so...unimportant!

(Not that plagiarizing important stuff is okay. But at least that makes sense to me!)

Kriston
    K
    K
    Our HS (100 years ago) didn't weight its valedictorian selection. That was close to 20 year ago (ok not 100) and it didn't personally impact me and I'm still mad that the kid who had his own math class the last two years wasn't my class valedictorian over a well-graded but lesser challenged student. oh well.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM