Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 241 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    ultramarina #170096 10/03/13 08:56 PM
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Also, DD used to wear THE craziest outfits. I mean, two different socks, plaid jumper, red shirt, flowered cardigan, striped leggings. This was totally intentional on her part and they would take a long time for her to pick out. These days, her outfits are far more subdued, but she still has a very unique and interesting sense of style--she does not want to wear what the other girls her age are wearing. The other day she said to me, "I prefer not to be in the majority."

How did you end up with my daughters? DD12 now dresses somewhat more conventionally, but DD10 still likes to dress in her own unique style, particularly since she learned to sew well enough to make many of her own clothes. I've got some great pictures of the two of them.

jholland1203 #170103 10/04/13 02:11 AM
    P
    P
    OK - I resisted but have to join in the fun. My DD's quirks are all about creative imaginative play.

- When DD was 3 or 4 she started to have "kids". The main one was a daughter named Sunflower. By the time she was through she had almost 100 of them. Such mischief makers they were too! I had to listen closely to assure myself she was doing all the voices in their conversations herself and she wasn't becoming psychotic or something.

- She created an entire city that had existed in my belly before she was born. It became very complex - infrastructure, institutions of higher education, mass transit. All in my belly! Apparently she and Marilyn Monroe were good friends before she was born. They met at a bus stop, struck up a conversation and the friendship just grew from there.

- She goes all-the-way with any idea, game, imagining, etc. A friend was interested in starting a Ghostbuster business and she was on the lookout for ghosts for him to bust WAY after he was over busting himself. After seeing Dee Snyder from Twisted Sister on tv she decided to put together her own band made of all 7 year old girls so she could call it Twisted Brother. A lot of interest at first but when the other kids realized she really meant they should perform - poof - no more members of her band. Right now she is really into fairies - building fairy houses in the woods, chanting to entice them, building a home where they can be comfortable once she catches one, etc.

- Her first grade classmates decided that she was the real life Fancy Nancy. A self-proclaimed "fashionista" who uses really big words. I'm not sure what those kids told their parents because that year every single mom from her class attended her birthday party. They just HAD to meet this kid, all with big smiles and sparkling eyes as they said it.

- She has decided that she has "columns" so that she can still have dessert even if she is too full to finish her dinner. "My dinner column has gone down and my dessert column has come up."

And of course nothing can be thrown away. "But Mom I can make something out of this!" Yeah because there are no more paper disposable cups. You HAVE to rinse out and keep the smashed up one from Subway...

And maybe her most noticeable quirk is her dancing. If she hears music she dances. She spins, twirls, leaps. And she doesn't care one bit if people are watching. Reactions have ranged from expressions of "What the ---" to cheers and applause from hundreds of onlookers.

Pemberley #170222 10/04/13 03:27 PM
    N
    N
    Originally Posted by Pemberley
    - She has decided that she has "columns" so that she can still have dessert even if she is too full to finish her dinner. "My dinner column has gone down and my dessert column has come up."

In our family (from my grandfather, actually), that is known as the "pie space" -- it's a wedge-shaped spot that is always reserved for a piece of pie, after everything else is full. smile It can be filled with ice cream, to my kids' relief.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM