Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    MumOfThree #169935 10/02/13 09:39 PM
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    Originally Posted by GinaW
    My nephew came into a crowded room and started telling a story in a frantic upset way. There were all sorts of details about him going to restroom and needing to blow his nose and how someone had lit a pretty candle in there. After way too long he gets too "and my tissue caught on fire and is still on fire in the trash can." We tease him about that one still.

Awesome.

My favourite is the family member, who if you ask a question such as "Where is my husband?" will reply along the lines of "Well I have this problem with the cable for the stereo in my car.... your car.... thought.... fixing... blah blah blah..." And if you have half an hour that monologue WILL end with where my husband is, but really, could they not say "In my car."?

Oh I am chuckling at both of these. This is exactly what I am talking about. I have to start questions with the answer choices, as in "This is a yes or no question. Is it raining outside?" Sometimes I still get an answer like, "Well the weather channel says no but I was just out there and had to wipe my glasses off when I came inside." Seriously what part of yes or no did they not get?

Having said that I also have to turn a simple question like, "will you turn off the light in the kitchen?" Into a doctorial thesis statement on "why the light is still on and whether it will still be on if no one is in the room to see it," To actually get someone other than myself to turn the thing off, because now it is an experiment rather than just a mundane task...LOL. That's my quirky gifties.

Cassie

"Imperfections in our journey were what made it perfect."-Ewan McGregor
    jholland1203 #169941 10/03/13 05:24 AM
    U
    U
    My DD has a thing about the paint color sample cards at Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

OMG. DD has hundreds of these. There is a drawer in her craft organizer just for them.

jholland1203 #169942 10/03/13 05:27 AM
    U
    U
    Regarding weird names for things, I have a list somewhere of the names of all the imaginary pets DD had when she was 4 to 5. They were extremely weird, like Diminitry, Flundine, and Plectra. We never knew which ones would be with us, but some always were. I still miss them a little bit.

jholland1203 #169943 10/03/13 05:32 AM
    U
    U
    Also, DD used to wear THE craziest outfits. I mean, two different socks, plaid jumper, red shirt, flowered cardigan, striped leggings. This was totally intentional on her part and they would take a long time for her to pick out. These days, her outfits are far more subdued, but she still has a very unique and interesting sense of style--she does not want to wear what the other girls her age are wearing. The other day she said to me, "I prefer not to be in the majority."

jholland1203 #169994 10/03/13 10:09 AM
    N
    N
    When I went to put DD to bed last night, I found half a dozen stuffed animals on her bed (ones that aren't usually, that is -- she only has about three million), and they all had name tags pinned on. Apparently, they had been playing school. smile

I can't imagine what would happen if DD knew about paint color sample cards. I just can't.

And yes, I frequently have to stop one of the kids to get to the point, and then I let them tell the story. Sometimes that even works. DH makes me stop and get to the point, too, but he doesn't want to hear the rest.

The tissue on fire thing is absolutely hilarious -- and could happen in my house, too! I wonder about a story that was on the news yesterday, in relation to this. A dispatcher was in trouble over a 911 call, where the guy said, "my car kind of caught on fire, and my girlfriend caught on fire, too," and she asked, "is your girlfriend still on fire," and he said "no," and she laughed. I wonder if she's used to stories being told backward like this? smile

ultramarina #169996 10/03/13 10:15 AM
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    My DD has a thing about the paint color sample cards at Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

OMG. DD has hundreds of these. There is a drawer in her craft organizer just for them.

I have clearly found my people. grin

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    jholland1203 #169999 10/03/13 10:21 AM
    I
    I
    Oh! the weird names reminded me: Ds had a bunch of imaginary friends when he was little. Their names were Secada, Fichael ... darn I forget the rest! Anyway, he would tell these great stories about all of their adventures ... Sometimes Fichael in particular would get way out of hand and DS would have to talk him into being more sensible. He also worked at an imaginary place called Figinzga. He also told me all about his "previous life" before he came to DH and me (which was actually a little sad - he was poor and his mom's name was "Ping," they were in India and were Indian, he would get in trouble for sneaking more food at night, etc... But he grew up and had two daughters (told em their names as well but I forget them))

His imagination was wild!

I especially miss the stories about Fichael - that kid was a character!

Last edited by Irena; 10/03/13 10:22 AM.
    Nautigal #170000 10/03/13 10:23 AM
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by Nautigal
    When I went to put DD to bed last night, I found half a dozen stuffed animals on her bed (ones that aren't usually, that is -- she only has about three million), and they all had name tags pinned on. Apparently, they had been playing school. smile

Just wait until they start getting report cards. And writing checks and using credit cards :lol:

pbear

HowlerKarma #170006 10/03/13 10:52 AM
    DD still meows to espress pleasure and growls under the opposite circumstances.

I have gradually weaned her doing it outside the home but have expressly told her that is entirely fine around us AT home.

Become what you are
    jholland1203 #170083 10/03/13 05:54 PM
    J
    J
    Fun thread!

My son is very safety conscious. My older daughter had a group of friends over, my son wanted to try her stilts, but he had to get his helmet first. He can't watch if another person is doing something that he thinks is dangerous.

He is also obsessed with puns, some of which are pretty funny. Mostly not, though... my daughter says I have ruined him by laughing at his not funny puns. I can't help it, he has such an earnest delivery.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM