Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    jholland1203 #169835 10/02/13 10:13 AM
    B
    B
    DS (6) talks very slow and sometimes sounds like a cartoon character. I know that the second he opens his mouth, strangers think "What an odd kid." Pretty sure that's part of his developmental coordination disorder/dyspraxia rather than a true "quirk". when he was a baby through preschooler age, almost all of his speech was in an extremely high pitch, and he went through a 2 month phase when he was around 3 where he meowed like a cat rather than spoke English. The meows were different pitches to communicate different things, for instance happy meows, aggressive meows, etc. He also spent a lot of time crawling around on the floor like a cat.

He has been completely obsessed with Minecraft since he was around 3 (before anyone even knew what it was and all the hype)--it was odd seeing a toddler who could barely talk and communicated by making animal noises, building complex things on there.

DD(7) sleepwalks and every morning we don't know where we will find her in the house. She could be asleep on her bedroom floor, on the bathroom floor, curled up on a living room chair, sprawled out on the floor in the hallway, etc.

When she was 2, her speech was very advanced and she was talking in full, articulate sentences. She called literally everyone "honey" or "hon" (even old biker guys in Wal Mart) and used the word in every other sentence. We would check out at the store and she would say to the cashier "How are you doing today, hon?" She did that for a full year, I think.

jholland1203 #169843 10/02/13 10:46 AM
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks for the laughs! I guess DH, DD7 and myself are all quirky as we fit well with the descriptions given minus the hoarding stuff. Although as a young child I remember that I loved looking at real estate guides and the apartment guide. smile
    I would say that out of us 3 I am the closest to a muggle lol
    DH and DD7 are nonconformist and I would say they both struggle with that the most socially. As a young girl I found it easier to conform than to fight it. I still find it easier and DH will question why I do it when I clearly feel/think otherwise.

Dude #169848 10/02/13 11:04 AM
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Originally Posted by 1frugalmom
    For us "quirky" means having to pick up anything that is interesting, shiny, or just "ohh neato" no matter how disgusting it is or if it is in the middle of a toxic puddle of parking lot ooze. When not allowed to pick said object up, DD then gets upset like you didn't allow her to pick up Willy Wonka's golden ticket or the one thing that would cure all diseases and save humankind. All these things come home and are absolutely treasured objects that can never be thrown away.

My DD hoards brochures, flyers, business cards, and anything else that's set out for the public to take one. These are her "important papers," and she keeps them in a manila folder in the car for review. DW secretly trashes some when it gets out of hand.

A typical hotel lobby brochure display is like Disneyland for her.

This weekend I had to stop her from collecting one each of the gift cards at Starbucks.

I think that this is a "collector" impulse. Hoarding is such an ugly word.

wink

(DD and I both have this gene, btw.) DH would add that I'm a person who should only go to home-shows and trade-shows with one-to-one supervision. LOL.

DD is a hard-core "collector." We've tried to direct this impulse into things like Lego Minifigs and other small items like stamps or coin collecting. Nothing ALIVE.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    jholland1203 #169849 10/02/13 11:10 AM
    Other quirks that my various family members have are related to office supplies. The right kinds of paper, the right type of pens and pencils... the right COLOR of ink...(I carry my own pens, I'm so fond of deep green, actually)...

The inability to just SIT and do nothing (how the heck do people not go over the edge standing in line at the post office or DMV, anyway??)

a need for clothing to be precisely "right" (in terms of feel, fit, smell, and wrinkle-status)

I think that a lot of quirkiness is OE.

jholland1203 #169851 10/02/13 11:16 AM
    My DD has a thing about the paint color sample cards at Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

LOL

I have managed over time to bring it down first to green (her favorite color) then to just one sample of one shade of green.

Having said that I encourage some of it myself - things like animal bones, skulls, cool rocks/stones, colored river/sea glass etc have always been collected and coveted and I think that stuff is cool laugh

Last edited by madeinuk; 10/02/13 11:20 AM.

Become what you are
    jholland1203 #169852 10/02/13 11:17 AM
    N
    N
    DH is a muggle. The rest of us, apparently, live with various ones of you people. laugh

Dude #169853 10/02/13 11:19 AM
    Originally Posted by Dude
    This weekend I had to stop her from collecting one each of the gift cards at Starbucks.

We have skirted this problem by telling her we have to buy those. Instead she will obsessively organize them while we are waiting in line.

Originally Posted by blackcat
    The meows were different pitches to communicate different things, for instance happy meows, aggressive meows, etc.

I can relate - We still get this every once in a while. DD will hiss at us when we are annoying her (her opinion) by trying to talk to her or ask her to do something. She will also walk straight up to a peer and growl at them if they are getting on her nerves. I'm sure this probably isn't helping her socially, but it is sort of funny to watch in a, "yep, that's my kid" kind of way.

jholland1203 #169854 10/02/13 11:29 AM
    I
    I
    my kid's quirk is that in any down time (and sometimes when it isn't downtime) he will walk around muttering to himself and acting things out (sound effects and all). If interrupted, he will state "Hold on, I just have to get through this scene... I am workign on a [movie] [book] [video game]." He's been doing this for as long as I can remember. It is seeming more and more weird. LOL. He often has entire worlds, conversations scenes, etc going on in his little head. Fortunately, most of DS's friends and classmates now know him as a "writer" and DS will just say I am working on my next movie/book/game. I am not sure if this a quirk or a disorder smile

jholland1203 #169858 10/02/13 11:54 AM
    I spent much of my childhood doing similar things, Irena. I actually seem quite normal to most people, and did by the time I was in high school. At least I think that I do. They don't seem to avoid eye contact or edge away from me or anything. LOL. They think I'm a little eccentric, and frighteningly good at some really arcane or strange things, and that I am not an annoying know-it-all, because I'm not out to dominate, and I don't talk just to hear my own voice (actually, I'm kind of introverted) I just know a lot of things...

{mumbles} just don't take me to Sherwin-Williams.... I'm likely to become unhinged when they don't have the RIGHT shade of orange... or blue-green....

And fabric samples-- don't even get me started. I looked at over 2K fabric samples for my living room sofa. I could SEE it in my head. I wound up "settling" on an avocadoey green, but what a really wanted was a delicate spring or pear color instead Like a fresh slice of key lime pie. Instead, I got guacomole. {sigh} It was quite frustrating to me.

I also had custom paint mixed for my kitchen cabinets and did them myself so that I could get what I wanted. Color is a BIG, BIG quirk of mine. blush

jholland1203 #169859 10/02/13 11:55 AM
    DD makes alpaca noises to express anxiety or irritation.

Luckily, she doesn't spit.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM