Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
    B
    B
    Here's the thing with the desks, though. DD is in the gifted/talented "cluster group" with 3 other kids in her grade. There are 3 classes and all the cluster group kids were put together in the same class. It's district-wide policy starting in Grade 3 at all the elem. schools. But the seating arrangement doesn't have anything to do with that. Each desk group has a mix of kids of all different levels. It is now week 6 of school and DD doesn't have any idea who else is in the cluster (although I know who they are) and she hasn't been given any differentiated work whatsoever. For reading, for instance, the teacher had all the kids read The Boxcar Children to themselves. DD whipped through the book in about 2 days at school and now has read about 8 boxcar children books and some kids are still on #1. So DD will probably read all 40 Boxcar children books (or however many there are) while she waits for other kids to get done with number 1. There aren't even any differentiated reading groups. What the heck is going on? I'm getting very frustrated. I could understand the desk situation if they were indeed leveled groups, but that is not the case.

C
    C
    Blackcat, that does sound frustrating! My understanding is that every child in my DS' class has specific work for the language arts block of the day. I think the desks may just be a way to arrange the kids in a fashion that makes it easier for the teacher to approach an individual child without diving into a long line of desks.

My guess is that there are probably as many different ways seating arrangements are being used as there are teachers.

B
    B
    Thanks ConnectingDots. The more the school year goes on, the more disgusted I am and convinced we need to find a new school. I had high hopes after meeting with both teachers--who seemed to understand the situation-- but nothing is happening. DS is testing 2 years ahead in math and his teacher isn't giving him any differentiated work either.
    So as to not hijack this thread, I started a new one about this on the Learning Env. forum.

Last edited by blackcat; 10/06/13 07:30 AM.
    Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM