Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 321 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    M
    M
    The College Board offers some speculative reasons about why some students are college-ready and others are not...Another is that college-ready students took more AP tests

If someone wants to misinterpret something there is no way to stop them, but I don't see how this is genuinely misleading to a fair reader.

Do you think because he uses the word "tests" he is implying that the CB report says just take the tests without taking the classes? Do you think that the CB report isn't actually pushing AP tests because they are just pushing "AP or honors classes"? Neither of those strike me as plausible interpretations. I won't quote the same piece of the CB report a third time, but that section really makes "speculative reasons" something a of a soft-sell as to how hard the CB report is pushing its "characteristics". If those characteristics aren't supposed to be causally related to success, why is the report pushing them as the blueprint for our children?

I'm not holding the NR piece up for any special praise, but I'd like to know where you get your opinion journalism if this is an egregious example.

I'll leave the field to you.

http://xkcd.com/386/

Originally Posted by mark
    The College Board offers some speculative reasons about why some students are college-ready and others are not...Another is that college-ready students took more AP tests

If someone wants to misinterpret something there is no way to stop them, but I don't see how this is genuinely misleading to a fair reader.

It's genuinely misleading because it never happened. The claim that "college-ready students took more AP tests" is a Richwine fabrication. The SAT report says no such thing. It does say that more college-ready students took rigorous classwork, with AP and honors classes lumped together. Taking an AP class does not necessarily mean taking the AP test.

He's correct about the PSAT, though. And he's WAYYYYYY off base with the "core curriculum" comment, as ultramarina has already described.

I'm not holding the NR piece up for any special praise, but I'd like to know where you get your opinion journalism if this is an egregious example.

Opinion journalism? Sweet. I love oxymorons, and that's a new one to me.

To answer your question, though (although it wasn't addressed to me), I prefer actual journalism, and form my own opinions. I'm not really interested in pre-processed ideology... it loses a lot of its nutrients and flavor.

U
    U
    The claim that "college-ready students took more AP tests" is a Richwine fabrication. The SAT report says no such thing. It does say that more college-ready students took rigorous classwork, with AP and honors classes lumped together. Taking an AP class does not necessarily mean taking the AP test.

This.

I'm a journalist, and I do the kind of work Richwine claims to have done here all the time--that is, I condense lengthy reports into user-friendly soundbites. I would never do what he did in this piece (for one thing, it would be a fireable offense). Is it the worst journalistic misdeed of all time? No. But it's intentionally misleading.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    #1: Common Core is not at all the same thing as a core curriculum.

Core curriculum, as defined by the College Board:
    "four or more years of English, three or more years of mathematics, three or more years of natural science, and three or more years of social science and history"

The Common Core is a lengthy set of educational standards--"what students should know and be able to do in each subject in each grade."
    Emphasis added in quote above to highlight that you may have answered your own question/challenge.

Breaking it down, by simple substitution of the words "each subject" and "each grade" in the Common Core definition you provided, with the actual list of core curriculum you provided as being sourced from College Board, we have:
    Four or more years of English
    1) what students should know and be able to do in English, grade 9.
    2) what students should know and be able to do in English, grade 10.
    3) what students should know and be able to do in English, grade 11.
    4) what students should know and be able to do in English, grade 12.
    Three or more years of Mathematics
    5) what students should know and be able to do in Math, grade 9-10band.
    6) what students should know and be able to do in Math, grade 10-11band.
    7) what students should know and be able to do in Math, grade 11-12band.
    Three or more years of Natural Science
    8) what students should know and be able to do in Science, grade 9-10band.
    9) what students should know and be able to do in Science, grade 10-11band.
    10) what students should know and be able to do in Science, grade 11-12band.
    Three or more years of Social Science and History
    11) what students should know and be able to do in SocSci/Hst, grade 9-10band.
    12) what students should know and be able to do in SocSci/Hst, grade 10-11band.
    13) what students should know and be able to do in SocSci/Hst, grade 11-12band.

These are not disparate items. These may be described as two interlocking puzzle pieces from the same puzzle. Viewed from a distance: one piece. Viewed closely: a union of adjoining pieces.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Dude
    [quote=mark][quote]

To answer your question, though (although it wasn't addressed to me), I prefer actual journalism, and form my own opinions. I'm not really interested in pre-processed ideology... it loses a lot of its nutrients and flavor.

Dude, these statements made my day. I'm with you.

I
    I
    The claim that "college-ready students took more AP tests" is a Richwine fabrication. The SAT report says no such thing. It does say that more college-ready students took rigorous classwork, with AP and honors classes lumped together. Taking an AP class does not necessarily mean taking the AP test.

Agreed! Many people errantly presume the AP test is a requisite part of an AP class. Possibly this author has exposed a lack of familiarity with AP, other than what he has read and tried to analyze and synthesize from these reports. In which case some may believe that a simple pointing out of the error would suffice, without alleging malfeasance.

Growth mindset. We are all learning. We learn from each other. We all make misteaks.

Originally Posted by ConnectingDots

laugh

Me, too!

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
    Opinion journalism? Sweet. I love oxymorons, and that's a new one to me....
    laugh
    Me, too!
    There is actually an Association of Opinion Journalists, and a Wikipedia page last updated Sept 19 2013 which describes opinion journalism in part as featuring
    "... a subjective viewpoint, usually with some social or political purpose. Common examples include newspaper columns, editorials, editorial cartoons, and punditry.
    Unlike advocacy journalism, opinion journalism has a reduced focus on detailed facts or research, and its perspective is often of a more personalized variety. Its product may be only one component of a generally objective news outlet, rather than the dominant feature of an entire publication or broadcast network."

M
    M

It beggar's belief that opinion journalism is new to any informed adult. Also, the notion that you get "actual journalism" from which you can form opinions uncorrupted by biases is naive in the extreme.

I'll just stop reading this thread so I can't be trolled back in again.

It beggar's belief that opinion journalism is new to any informed adult.

I was referring to the phrase, thanks.

Also, the notion that you get "actual journalism" from which you can form opinions uncorrupted by biases is naive in the extreme.

Speaking of claims nobody made... this.

I also don't believe that I can obtain drinking water that is uncorrupted by impurities, but that's not the same thing as drinking from the sewer.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM