Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 205 of 268 1 2 203 204 205 206 207 267 268
    D
    D
    ha - yes, it's the rabbit's name! smile

and i just noticed there is an art thread already - so i'll remember to put future arty/mathy stuff in there!

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
    ha - yes, it's the rabbit's name! smile

and i just noticed there is an art thread already - so i'll remember to put future arty/mathy stuff in there!

Ooh, you should resurrect it. smile

What is to give light must endure burning.
    U
    U
    DD9 just got her letter from Duke TIP that she's eligible to take the EXPLORE test.

Interestingly, she only qualified in math, where I have just now learned she scored the absolute maximum score possible on the exam our state uses for TIP. This is rather odd since I think I and everyone else who knows her considers her a stronger reading/writing student. (Hmm...was that an anti-brag? She still got a strong overall score on the reading, but just out of the 95th%+ range.)

S
    S
    Same with my boy. I consider him more reading/writing yet test after test shows he just blows everything away in math and is the same as your DD on reading.

Does she only take the math part or will they let her take all parts of the Explore?

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    U
    U
    You know, I am totally confused about this and need to ask how it works. The info says: "Participation in the 4th–6th Grade Talent Search provides students with exciting, stimulating and challenging opportunities through online lessons, publications, contests, the Duke TIP Book Club and an optional above-level testing experience, the EXPLORE® test." But my letter indicates that she qualified in math. Maybe qualifying in one area lets you take the whole shebang? Doesn't it have a lot of sections?

I'm wondering if she just botched one or two on the reading and that was enough to nudge her out of the 95th+%. I suspect this test has a low ceiling, and she does overthink. Math is math and it's harder to overinterpret.

ETA: Never mind--just found it: "All students currently participating in the Duke TIP 4th-6th Grade Talent Search may register for EXPLORE. " So I guess everyone who scores highly enough on one of the tests can register. What I didn't know is that her IQ would have qualified her to take EXPLORE anyway.

Last edited by ultramarina; 09/24/13 05:55 PM.
    N
    N
    DS11 just got elected Vice President of Student Council for his middle school!

Now he can't tell me nobody likes him -- obviously somebody does! smile

T
    T
    First time posting.

DS6 just participated in his 10th chess tournament and his USCF rating is now 1038; he as thrilled because his goal had been to be at 1000 by age 7 (which he doesn't turn until late April).

He is in the middle of 4th grade math (we homeschool) and is likely to move onto 5th grade at the start of 2014. He just started 3rd grade English, and is about to move onto a mix of 3-4th grade spelling.

He is loving reading and has recently finished Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIHM, The Hobbit, and the entire Guardian of gaHoole series.

A
    A
    After a period of dormancy, DS23mo has picked up reading/spelling with renewed fervour. We have an app (will report back with the name) that allows him to drag and drop letters to write simple 3- and 4-letter words. This is his newest craze. We also draw pictures and use magnetic letters to subtitle the illustrations. My crappy stick figures are slowly evolving into more discernible pictures.

This morning while I tidied, DS decided to spend about 10 minutes naming off words at random and their starting letter/sound. (A harder game we play is identifying ending sounds.) We also played a game where we'd draw letters at random from a jar and identify vehicles whose names started with the letter selected. "G" drew a surprising blank, since he loves garbage trucks and graders, but DS improvised "gucker truck", which made us both laugh. A gucker truck is apparently one that does mucker jobs...

I suppose this isn't so much a brag as a global progress report. It's just such fun seeing DS carve out his own method for learning to read, and I love that all this is happening organically through free reading and play.

Oh, while I remember, here's one last story! DH and I were surprised when DS read a shop sign (Hermes) on a walk last week. I KNEW it was reading and not memory because DH and I always pronounce Hermes in French, while DS pronounced it as the Greek god's name.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    DD14 just got her ACT results-- she got a composite 34!!!

She got two perfect 36's-- in reading and English, and a 34 in the Science section.

I am relieved that even though she had writing at the end of the test (and note that we strongly suspect a CTD that makes her hands fatigue badly-- and makes writing longhand VERY difficult)--

She 99'ed everything but math (high 90's), and the writing section (98th percentile combined writing/English) which probably doesn't show her actual ability-- her SAT writing test (where the written essay comes FIRST) showed a better essay score.

She did it!! Yippeeeeeeee!! cool

(I'm really really elated that now she's probably done with standardized testing, which is way, way, way stressful with a 2e kid. It also means that she achieved her goal of NOT superscoring anything. She's going au natural. Three-for-three, kiddo! Good for her. )

smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    Congrats!

Aquinas love the update!

Page 205 of 268 1 2 203 204 205 206 207 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM