Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 264 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    M
    M
    My first post smile

My son is 3, and wants to go to school so bad. He is reading books that are way beyond his age group. So does anyone know where to start with educating a gifted child? I am at a total loss. I have no idea where to start. He can write and read, so I think preschool might be very boring to him. If anyone has ANY advice, I would appreaciate it. Thanks. smile

MyAslan #1978 02/07/07 08:08 AM
    G
    G
    Hi MyAslan,

I have no doubt that preschool would be boring to your son. My son (now 8, 3rd grade) *hated* preschool. He only lasted 3 weeks. He was much happier being home where we could read and do puzzles and make up stories and play with numbers, etc. My daughter (now 6, 1st grade) was like your son and wanted so badly to go to school from the time she was 3 years old. (Part of it was that she had two older siblings in school and wanted to be like them.) We put her into preschool a year earlier than planned--and actually, she only went for the last 3 months of the school year--and then into K at 4-1/2 years old at a private school (same place where she attended preschool). We did this to get around the age cutoff in our state. Because she did K at the private school, we were able to enroll her in 1st grade at public school at age 5-1/2.

The best thing you can do for your son now is to follow his lead, let him explore whatever interests him. Read everything you can find on gifted children. And start exploring the school options in your area. Maybe for now you could try to get him into a preschool with older kids, if he really wants to go to school? Or a Montessori-type school where he could learn at his own pace?

Keep reading and posting here. I have learned so much from everyone here.

GG

W
    W
    Montessori might work for these gifted little ones if it is one that allows the child to progress at their own rate.

Willa Gayle
    willagayle #2005 02/08/07 02:14 PM
    Mixed age classroom is key. I reccomend lots of visits to possible schools. Preschools that are attached to k-8 or k-12 schools are good as they might be more flexible. Or at least have teachers on campus that can work with teachers in younger rooms.
    Good luck,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Siyas mother #3084 08/18/07 07:43 PM
    B
    B
    How did you know?

My Baby started to talk with 13 weeks. She is very alert.
    The health nurse told me she is 3 months ahead of other children.

She says hello and mama. She can hold a ball in her hand.

Thanks for your help.

Baba #3085 08/18/07 08:06 PM
    Hi Baba,
    I didn't know until he "crashed and burned" in 2nd grade, but looking back -
    eye contact in the first 48 hours -
    At 4 weeks when I went to visit my co-workers with him in the baby sling, as I spoke to them, they reported that he observed me carefully, and moved his head in the same way and to the same beat, including mirroring facial expressions.
    He knew his letters at 2, without being taught.

Best book by far is 'Deb Ruf's Losing our Minds, Gifted Children left behind.' You can also call her up for a phone consult.

Document everything on video camera! With ages.

I reccoment talking to her as though she knows what you are saying, and limiting the amount of TV violence that on when she's within earshot - real or pretend. I would also keep an eye on her sleep habits - it can be extra hard for these kids to unwind - we didn't use any rituals - just kept him up till he colapsed, or nursed until we drifted off. I would be more proactive now.

How old is she now?

try these articles -
    http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10223.aspx
    http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10284.aspx
    http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10299.aspx
    http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10082.aspx

Best Wishes and happy baby -
    Trinity

Grinity #3086 08/19/07 12:31 AM
    B
    B
    Hi Trinity,

she is 15 weeks old.

Other people tell me that she is very alert but they don't believe me that she is talking already.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Baba #3093 08/20/07 08:35 AM
    They don't believe you! That's too bad. I've heard plenty of stories of talking babies - also babies that count in the uterus, as in, Mom taps three times, baby kicks three times. Mine wasn't like that, but many are.

You might want to joint your state gifted association and start making friends with other parents of gifted kids. There is no official definition of gifted, so although it's too early to tell if your baby is, or will be gifted, no one can say your baby isn't gifted. You deserve to be around people will believe you. It's not good for mommies or children to have to 'mask themselves' all the time. You may also want to start hanging out at the public library, looking for mom's with huge bags of books (fast readers sometimes are gifted) or early readers, who are also sometimes gifted.

Post here often and brag to your hearts content.

Smiles,
    Trin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students