Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    Regarding gaming, others on this board have said that they have their children prepare for EXPLORE (this is not something we would do). In fact it seems pretty easy to game, if one wanted to.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    ... didn't want her to take it and feel discouraged or alienated.
    Exactly. Two different but interrelated thoughts on this:
    1) This is why some parents encourage taking an out-of-level test on which it is not expected the student will know all the answers, and doing so early on in one's schooling: growth mindset.
    2) The concept of fixed mindset vs growth mindset is nicely summarized in these youtube videos:
    Ashley Merryman & Po Bronson: The Myth of Praise (link-
    ) and
    Teaching a Growth Mindset (link-
    ) by Carol Dweck whose research was mentioned in the Bronson video clip. These links provide quick summaries, their books contain more info. One aspect or application of a fixed mindset is that gifted kids, in order to be seen as "right" or "smart", may stop taking appropriate risks, possibly shunning a challenge and preferring easy work which may represent a level of underachievement. A fixed mindset may work against them and be exhibited as a lack of resilience.

I
    I
    Regarding gaming, others on this board have said that they have their children prepare for EXPLORE (this is not something we would do). In fact it seems pretty easy to game, if one wanted to.
    It is my understanding (and I may be wrong) that both ACT and CB issue past versions of their various achievement tests for purposes of prep. An achievement test is different than an IQ test. Legitimate prep for an achievement test is not considering "gaming" the test and does not invalidate the results. Having someone else sit for the test, using electronic devices to look up answers, or other forms of cheating would be considered "gaming" the achievement test.

ACT Explore Test info here ~ http://www.act.org/explorestudent/

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Hmm. I guess I don't really think this is an appropriate achievement test to prep for. Isn't the point simply to see what your child is capable of at this moment w/o prepping? The stakes are not high like they are for the actal ACT or SAT, or even the PSAT. I do consider studying for this test to be gaming it in some sense, since I would say there is a bit of a gentleman's agreement/assumption that this is a "let's see what you can do" test, not a "study your damn little heart out" test.

I'm familiar with Po Bronson and Carol Dweck. I don't think they quite apply here.

I gave DD the sample science questions and she did extremely well, so at least for that category, I appear to be off base anyway. (So maybe I am a hypocrite. I just wanted to see if she would tank it or do okay, and if she would panic. She did in fact panic and said she was getting everything wrong. She got one wrong.)

I
    I
    She did in fact panic and said she was getting everything wrong. She got one wrong.
    ...giving parents the opportunity to apply the work of Bronson and Dweck, encouraging a growth mindset! smile

K
    K
    We did not prep. We went over the sample questions provided to familiarize ds with what was expected but that is all. It was important for him to know there was no pressure and no expectations. Prepping him would have negated that.
    Now later on, when it's no longer an above-level test then it's appropriate to prep.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    I think the mindset question is tricky with gifted kids.

To me, we're really triumphing over a fixed mindset when DD get shown some new material she can't possibly do without help, freaks out, is taught it, fails a bit, freaks out again, keeps trying, and eventually succeeds and feels proud.

We're not necessarily triumphing when DD gets shown some new material that looks harder than she's used to, panics, keeps complaining at me about how it's hard because she's DD, then gets almost everything right because of innate ability, not because she has been taught anything new. I mean, it's better than usual. She had to try. But.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    KADmom, I am on the same page.

Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Legitimate prep for an achievement test is not considering "gaming" the test and does not invalidate the results. Having someone else sit for the test, using electronic devices to look up answers, or other forms of cheating would be considered "gaming" the achievement test.

Different concepts. Cheating is cheating. Gaming is something else. I've always considered gaming to mean maximizing within the rules of the system. To my definition any prepping beyond gaining familiarity with the test format is gaming.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Yes, I agree. Gaming a test is not cheating. You're not breaking the rules, but are you using the test as it is meant to be used? The line may be gray in some or many cases.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM