Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    There have been several recent threads in this forum about the "dys" disorders and those have been helpful to me. Those threads led me to come across the "Brighter Solutions for Dyslexia" site. The site has several videos that I thought might be useful to others that don't have a diagnosis yet or are concerned like we are. The main topic is dyslexia, but dysgraphia and ADD/ADHD are also within the videos and in the site - http://www.dys-add.com/

We are concerned about the possibility of dyslexia, dysgraphia, developmental coordination disorder, or something else in this area with DD7. She is left-handed, holds her pencil in a strange grip, has a knobby callous about the size of a large pea on her ring finger from the pressure she uses when writing, and still sometimes reverses letters and numbers. She has odd starting points for some of her letters, doesn't consistently keep letters on the line, and you can tell she has to sometimes really think about which way a letter is formed before she writes it down. She still has trouble tying her shoes and has to stop and think about left and right. She has other indicators from the list off the site, so we are asking our testers to add some additional testing to her psychoeducational testing that is coming up to test for anything else along the lines of dyslexia/dysgraphia.

P
    P
    Thanks for the link 1frugalmom - I hope that your dd's psych-ed testing is helpful. She sure sounds like she has classic dysgraphia or DCD - the things you listed about your dd describe my DCD/dysgraphic ds to a tee at the same age.

polarbear

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM