Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 31 of 131 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 130 131
    S
    S
    My daughter, 7, tested into independent science this semester and gets to choose a long term project. She consulted with the teacher last week and decided she wants to compare the calls of Eastern Bluebirds with a certain kind of blackbird (I can't remember the name). Unfortunately, there is no information about blackbirds in her school library, and oh, by the way, she doesn't mean crows or ravens or red-winged blackbirds. And, no. She will not switch the project to a bird that is readily studied and for which we can find info.

This year for Halloween, she's going to be a crow. Not a raven or blackbird. And she's busy designing a beak that is an accurate shape.

Her recent bird fascination is all the more weird to me because wolves are her passion and she is constantly doing research on wolves!

U
    U
    syoblrig (sorry, birds are one of my DD's special interests)--no bird guides in the library?

I can point you in the direction of some kid-friendly bird stuff if this turns out to be a long-term thing...Cornell Lab of Ornithology has a great website.

OP Offline
    I second the recommendation of the Cornell Lab of Ornithology. My DD spent a lot of happy hours there when she was 4-8yo. smile

Today, in discussing some quip that my DD14's faculty mentor had made while teasing her and another member of the research group, (something about shutting up and drinking the koolaid, in relation to an IRB document or something) DD remarked..

Sometimes Dr. {Mentor} reminds me a lot of you. I just can't decide if I should find that comforting-- or terrifying.

{snickers}

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Mana
    DD's latest quirk is that she likes to read the nutrition information panels. It's fine when she does this at home but when she does this outside, we kind of get the "freak show" vibe from people around us.

A 3 year old girl who names Mozzarella cheese instead of just cheese as a pizza toping = adorable

DD who declares she still needs to get 3/4 of her daily calcium intake to grow her bones after eating a cup of yogurt = weird

That's definitely adorable!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    My own mother brings us Rosemary seedlings to any in our garden. Three year old says "I can put it on my lamb!".

This really tickled me! I love the little foodies here! smile

What is to give light must endure burning.
    M
    M
    Aquinas - the amusing thing is that rosemary is high in salicylate and she's thus never eaten it in her life! She's rarely even seen it used (we only use it when making lamb for adult guests).

Anecdote of the morning.... Eldest DD comes to visit me before I get up, coughing all the way, first words: "I can't get above an A in a C major scale!" She's trying to explain to me how sick she is and why she shouldn't go to school.

C
    C
    My dd is not only a gifted child but a HUGE Star Wars fan. She is wanting to go as a Jedi for Halloween (break out the sewing machine). Anyway I have been searching for stuff for her costume and found some boots that I think will work. I showed them to her and she was VERY excited. It dawned on me my preteen daughter was not excited because the boots were cute or something girly like that but that they look so much like JEDI boots. She says she will probably wear them to school without the costume too because they are cool.

Cassie

"Imperfections in our journey were what made it perfect."-Ewan McGregor
    N
    N
    Does she have the "Darth Vader and Son" and "Darth Vader's Little Princess" books? DD7 is obsessed with them at the moment. They are pretty simple reading, but the humor is awesome -- each page is like a Far Side cartoon, practically.

What's funny is that she's never even seen Star Wars -- she only picked up on it from Angry Birds! But I'll be surprised, given the current obsession, if she doesn't end up wanting a Jedi costume or something Star Wars for Halloween.

M
    M
    Speaking to preschool teacher for DS3...

Teacher: he loves to pretend to read to the other kids.
    Me: He does read fluently.
    Teacher: It's almost like he can! Any book we pull up, he remembers the story -- word for word!
    Me: He actually can read.
    Teacher, laughing: He sure makes it look that way, doesn't he!

C
    C
    Originally Posted by mama2three
    Speaking to preschool teacher for DS3...

Teacher: he loves to pretend to read to the other kids.
    Me: He does read fluently.
    Teacher: It's almost like he can! Any book we pull up, he remembers the story -- word for word!
    Me: He actually can read.
    Teacher, laughing: He sure makes it look that way, doesn't he!
    Lol. There are none so blind as those who will not see... Next time you see that they've put up a new adult-directed notice, lift him up and let him read that. Not that I've btdt or anything :-)

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Page 31 of 131 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM