Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 314 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 22 of 33 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 32 33
    I
    I
    Yes i was taught the same but the problem itself didnt say "difference" - it said write a story comparing two amounts ...

N
    N
    Originally Posted by Irena
    DS wrote as an answer: "There are 70 lego pieces in a lego set. A set of legos containing 80 pieces comes in the mail. How many more legos are in the new set? 70+10=80 "

It was marked wrong and she was wrote in red "'comparing' means subtraction sentence. Or at least explain that the missing part is 10." Then she told me on the phone that DS didn't understand the the difference between the two sets is 10.

Clearly, the teacher doesn't understand the math. He wrote "how many more", and, really, "+10" is a perfectly reasonable example of that. It's ten more. But the teacher thinks "=80" is the answer, because it "=", and therefore he must be wrong.

Given that circumstance, myself, I would tend toward a kneejerk response of writing every answer in all their possible stupid ways. 70+10=80. 80-10=70. 80-70=10. That way, I'd be certain to hit on the right one at some point. smile

On the other hand, my response as a student might be to give up entirely.

And I'm so with you on the drawing thing. I kept asking that repeatedly when DS was in the lower grades -- is this math or art? He refused to draw all his addition and subtraction problems, too. DD now in 2nd grade likes to draw, so she can be found drawing pictures of everything even when they don't ask for it. It drives me to distraction when I'm walking her through her homework and she keeps stopping to draw pictures of apples and stuff. Gah!

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Nautigal
    DD now in 2nd grade likes to draw, so she can be found drawing pictures of everything even when they don't ask for it. It drives me to distraction when I'm walking her through her homework and she keeps stopping to draw pictures of apples and stuff. Gah!

sweet mother of cheese this kills me, too. they taught DD5 to do that last year in Pre-K, and for stuff she can CLEARLY do in her head in two seconds, she's literally drawing detailed robots and things. i kind of wish she was still in school, so that they could reap the full horror of what they've sown.

and re: 70+10=80... seriously? WHY then do they drone on and on about Fact Families if they don't want kids to USE THEM. (bangs head on desk)

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    I
    I
    LOL

Okay we figured out - when asked by Envision to write a "joining story" that means they want an addition sentence ; when asked to write a "comparing story" that is trigger phrase for "subtraction sentence."

At least we know the rule now! smile

{insert rude remarks about "joining" rabbits being the explanation for the assertion that multiplication is "repeated" addition.}

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Z
    Z
    So, I found a reference...
    http://www.teachertipster.com/CGI_problem_types.pdf

It shows three types of comparing problems. It shows when the difference is unknown, then addition or subtraction is a viable way to illustrate.

I
    I
    Thank you Zen!!! Believe it or not, this answer was going to keep my DS out of the differentiation math group they are starting. She called me to tell me that she's going to let him anyway because she does think he needs it even though he really shouldn't be in the group b/c he answered this question on the pre-test wrongly. She was making it sound like he really shouldn't be in the group b/c he did not under stand the "deeper" concepts that this problem is designed to highlight. (I just vomited a little in mouth I think). So that pdf will come in very handy!

I
    I
    Oh and if she calls multiplication "repeated addition" one more time...

GRRRRRR

LOL

M
    M
    Thanks for that link Zen Scanner, I have been meaning to search for a list of all the ways you might be asked to do each kind of problem using words, that will be a helpful start along the way.

Someone on this board mentioned a while ago that their school drills the kids on "these terms mean you add, these terms mean you divide, etc". My aspie DD could really use some explicit instruction in this translation. Sentence types she's seen before she convert, but she struggles with drawing inferences at the best of time, and with sequencing, so can get terribly muddled.

P
    P
    I must admit I have a problem with word problems. Yes they are real life but it seems like a strange place to start. My son had a sheet of four fraction problems the other day. The first three problems (word problems) he got fine despite there being words in them we don't use in NZ. The fourth was basically what is 6 as a fraction of 24. Easy if you know your 4 times table but ds6 got so lost is all the excess verbiage and unfamiliar words he put 4/6 as in 4 people 6 things each. Yes it was a valid and useful problem (you have 24 things and each person needs 6 how many can you serve) but why not teach it after multiplication is taught. The are starting multiplication with problems like 3+3+3=. Eventually they will say that is also 3*3. I think we will learn times tables over the christmas/summer break.

Page 22 of 33 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 32 33

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM