Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 195 guests, and 32 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    #168855 09/23/13 05:44 PM
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    So DD started her out of district placement last week. Consultant, lawyer and psych all said to delay starting her until all services were in place. Late in the day Friday we got a call from the school saying everything was in place and they were ready for her to start Monday. I took a deep breath and sent her in.

The first day the iPad wasn't charged but at least it was there. The next day they discovered the district had it password protected but hadn't provided the password. As the week went on they and we both tried to reach the new DSS at our district to get the info. No luck. By Thursday they determined Dragon Dictation, the only app available, was not working for her. They stopped sending the iPad home.

Where was the 5 day a week AT instruction? Where was the keyboarding? Where were the audio books?

DD is writing everything by hand. I found out tonight that when she said she "listened to a book" she meant someone read it aloud to her - no audio books.

Today we get an email from new DSS saying that the school (and we) were "confused". The only thing DD is supposed to be using the iPad for is Dragon Dictation. You know - the thing that doesn't work for her.

School director is trying to reach new DSS. We've already called the lawyer.

So much for cautiously optimistic...

M
    M
    Oh gosh Pemberley. School start each year is always so frustrating but in your situation how did they get this so wrong?

X
    X
    It is realy frustrating,goodluck:).

P
    P
    Your poor daughter! And you of course.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Pemberley
    So much for cautiously optimistic...

Pemberley, I'm so sorry. Your DD must be beyond frustrated.

Yes, call in your crack team of experts and let them have at it. Again.

Are you thinking of bailing to the 2E school if this can't be fixed?

DeeDee

M
    M
    wow! You couldn't make this up if you tried! so sorry things aren't working out the way you hoped frown

H
    H
    I was so hopeful that things were going better... I just hate it when I get "confused" by remembering precisely what was promised that they aren't delivering...

It sounds like the school director is in your court maybe? I hope things will finally get straightened out for your daughter. You have been through so much.

M
    M
    They had all summer to hammer things out. I'm running out of patience on your DD's behalf.

I
    I
    Wow that stinks! Unbelievable! I feel for you guys. After all the trouble I had with DS's school last year they really appear to be on the ball this year - they have DS typing his writing for things like journal, writers workshop, etc (they give him a choice scribe or type and he chooses typing), they are also providing typing instruction (I believe that is happening during OT by the OT), they are got him an Ipad. And they have been providing him with scribing accomodations when they are suppose to in accordance with the IEP. If my DS's school can do it so can your DD's! I think maybe my DS's teacher is making a difference... I wonder a bit that perhaps DS's teacher last year really did not think he needed his accomodations. I am not sure if it were a personal thing with that teacher, ie., she for some reason felt that DS really could simply "grow out" of his disability/accomodations; or maybe it's just a matter of having a more formal disgnosis or maybe just the fact that they realized I will not be pushed around and will advocate for all my son needs... maybe a combination, I guess. But I do get a different vibe altogether from this teacher (so far). The teacher is the one who really got the typing stuff going ASAP after chatting with me on the phone (we don't have our iep mtg for another few weeks).

I think you need to call an IEP meeting!

Last edited by Irena; 09/24/13 05:39 AM.
    M
    M
    Wow- unbelievable. So sorry this is happening for you and your dc.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM