Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Dandy #168702 09/22/13 03:49 PM
    Oh-- and for the curious, even if you don't have the sights set on an elite college, every GPA point is worth thousands in merit aid these days. There is a difference of some 5K a year at one regional flagship just going from a 3.75 unweighted to a 3.9+ unweighted. So yeah, that kind of aid money is the difference between going and not to some families.

Very high stakes for teens with high school grades. Come to think of it, maybe I should donate the $$ to a scholarship endowment just for PG kids.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 09/22/13 03:49 PM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Dandy #168708 09/22/13 04:18 PM
    S
    S
    I'm an English teacher and I faced the new grading programs we were forced into every few years with trepidation. I think it's very likely the teacher didn't anticipate this effect and hopefully gentle advocacy can help him reconsider. It's also possible there will be a big assignment in maps in the second quarter. Honestly, no one ever really taught me how to manage grades. I had to try to be fair but you don't always know what to anticipate, and you have to have things all laid out in August--tricky! I did try to match time/effort with weight and actually the percentages helped a LOT because I knew that kids could affect their grades and I didn't have to play with numbers of points ridiculously. I knew that final test would be worth something, instead of letting a kid who turned in average homework always coast through without demonstrating certain key skills were mastered. Respectful discussion calling this to his attention and asking about future assignments might do the trick. And a kid bringing it up might help him save face and start thinking and then he could present it in a letter home... yeah. Good luck!

Dandy #168711 09/22/13 05:21 PM
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Dandy
    fair/equitable/reasonable
    Equity, in the educational sense, has sometimes been compared with a golf handicap, being a system which makes it easier for a less skilled/talented/accomplished person to compete with a more skilled/talented/accomplished individual.

By contrast most competitions are run by the philosophy, "May the best one win."

The grading discussed may not seem fair or equal, but may be considered by some to be "equitable." It depends upon what the teacher/school/program is trying to accomplish.

Dandy #168834 09/23/13 01:25 PM
    So someone explain this to me--

A single graded discussion* (meaning-- threaded, bulletin-board style) is worth more to my daughter's grade in German II than any of the course's five midterm exams. Worth more, in fact, than ANY other graded item save the final exam.

(The final is worth 11.6% of the student's semester grade... this single discussion-- is 7.1% of it.)

Remember, this is a cumulative final examination, which should probably include 40 or so multiple choice questions, 5-10 short-answer questions (some with listening features), and an essay or two.

* Go to the discussion board and post at least five sentences about things you did yesterday. Also, ask your classmates about things they did, ate, etc. using the German past tense.

This is the kind of nonsense that weighted, category-distributed grading leads to in more cases than I have energy to describe at this moment. My daughter, being no fool so far as math and percentages goes, realizes full well that a C on that ONE assignment just made it imperative that she earn about 98% on everything else in that course in order to maintain an A. Oh, and no weighting on this class, so an A- would really sting. The students get 1/2 hour of live instruction with a teacher... every two weeks. Really not kidding.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Val Offline
    HK, that's just plain ridiculous.

IMO, this approach to structuring course grades is designed to give poor-performing students a chance to get an A. That way, everyone can fail at go to college!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM