Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 10 of 102 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 101 102
    C
    C
    ...when your child is watching "Big Bang Theory," (with parental supervision) and says, "This show is so realistic." And she's not being sarcastic or joking.

Cassie

"Imperfections in our journey were what made it perfect."-Ewan McGregor
    X
    X
    I Know Iam parenting a gifted child, When myson was Four and ahalf months old. He is a bilingual child, so I thought he will not talk easly.When we went to Turkey to visit my family. Some of my friend ask him How are you. his answer was "I am good" HE got shock and asked again and he replied "I am good". Same tiime around My friends mother died. We talked about what happend to her, while I was breasth feeding him. He stoped sucking and looked my sister with his upsetface and said "she died","she died". We all got shocked and my sister said 'oh my god". and When He was 6 months old He force me to read a new backyardigans book between 1 pm ( my husband ate his lunch and left)to 5:30 pm. when my husband came from work. Ilooked at him and I throwed the book to him and whent to Bedroom. He was so cool, he ducked to escape from book,took it and sit next to Emre and continued to read. I stayed in the Bedroom .

Last edited by xsantos; 09/24/13 03:09 AM.
    C
    C
    You are listening to parents discuss and complain about the school district's requirement that first and second graders read for twenty minutes a day. And thinking that is what your seven year old sneaks in when he is NOT supposed to be reading. Cannot relate.

You're field dressing a deer with an 8 year old girl (who wanted to come and watch the process) and instead of being grossed out she is fascinated with all the internal organs, especially the heart.

Become what you are
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
    You are listening to parents discuss and complain about the school district's requirement that first and second graders read for twenty minutes a day. And thinking that is what your seven year old sneaks in when he is NOT supposed to be reading. Cannot relate.

I just had to comment on this. We moved from a big school to a small one when my daughter was in first grade, and the new one had a 90 minute reading block for 1st and second graders but no science or social studies. My dd was having fits because she had to read their little stories for that 90 minutes. Not nonfiction books. It didn't take long for the teachers to just let her read what she wanted after finishing what they wanted her to do.

Cassie

"Imperfections in our journey were what made it perfect."-Ewan McGregor
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    You're field dressing a deer with an 8 year old girl (who wanted to come and watch the process) and instead of being grossed out she is fascinated with all the internal organs, especially the heart.

We really do need a like button!!! This is our girls, spot on!

M
    M
    ...when you realize that the other two year olds are still learning to identify numbers and to count; not doing addition and subtraction in their heads.

...when one of your twins teaches himself how to read at three years old, and you find out when he reads a book to you and your husband.

... when the other twin decides at age five that he wants to learn how to read and and insists that he will teach himself. AND HE DOES, within a couple of weeks, by practicing with BOB books for 5-10 minutes at night alone in his room before bed.

H
    H
    DS4 was sent to a timeout and required to count to 200. He was trying to outsmart me by skip-counting to 200.

Last edited by HelloBaby; 09/23/13 12:02 PM.
    G
    G
    Originally Posted by ConnectingDots

At my house, this is usually done when DD is supposed to be eating breakfast, getting ready to leave, brushing her teeth, etc. The list goes on and on! I feel bad for telling her to "put the book down and focus". I know it's a good problem to have, but some days it makes me crazy! :-)

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Gardengirl09
    At my house, this is usually done when DD is supposed to be eating breakfast, getting ready to leave, brushing her teeth, etc. The list goes on and on! I feel bad for telling her to "put the book down and focus". I know it's a good problem to have, but some days it makes me crazy! :-)

Yep. I have now caught DS hiding a book under the table at dinnertime. Twice. It makes me want to laugh, but I just can't... or he'd do it every night.

Page 10 of 102 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 101 102

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM